Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telrad fitting challenge

Hi all,

can someone please help / advise.

I've just received my Telrad finder. I don't like using the circular contained finders, so this is ideal.

However, it won't fit onto my scope - it's too long !

I know with a bit of faffing and a drill, I could get it to sit on top of my guide scope, but i'd like to keep that clear for occassionally using my DSLR (with lens).

My scope is on the 21cm skywatcher dovetail plate. I see that FLO, sell a 33.5cm plate. Would my ED80, fit onto the 33.5cm plate (obviously the rings could then be further apart, to allow fitting of the Telrad).

Thank you for any help / possible solutions to this ..............

To clarify here are some pics of my problem :

DPP_0003.jpg

DPP_0002-1.jpg

DPP_0005.jpg

I use cable ties, but I don't know if it is a solution to your problem. Maybe a rigel would be an answer .

Yes - had it tied that way yesterday, to a mounting plate, on top of my guider - works, but not great.

Unless I can cable tie to the guide scope ...... ummmm

Looking at the ADM mounting plates on FLO, that looks hopeful - have dropped them a message.

Thanks chaps.

The only solution I can suggest is...go out and get a bigger telescope...:)...sorry!

well - thanks !!!

my bank account really doesn't need that sort of encouragement :)

Anyhow very happy with my ED80.

well - thanks !!!

my bank account really doesn't need that sort of encouragement :)

Anyhow very happy with my ED80.

Sorry about that...only joking.:)

You could look at adding some kind of plate to the scope rings....maybe just a flat piece of aluminium and try and mounting the Telrad on that. Almost inevitably that would mean drilling into the scope rings so you could attach with some kind of bolts/screws..

Sorry about that...only joking.:)

You could look at adding some kind of plate to the scope rings....maybe just a flat piece of aluminium and try and mounting the Telrad on that. Almost inevitably that would mean drilling into the scope rings so you could attach with some kind of bolts/screws..

lol - was funny !!

That's a thought.

Ordered a longer bar, apparently (should) work ....... we'll see ...

lol - was funny !!

That's a thought.

Ordered a longer bar, apparently (should) work ....... we'll see ...

Yep..thinking about it ..thats a much more elegant solution..

How long is the new dovetail bar ?

Just get a piece of 6mm thick Delrin black engineering plastic plate off eBay and make a plate to fit the Telrad on.

Here's one I made also using a Telrad riser plate that fitted between a dovetail saddle and the mount to fit the Telrad beside the scope. The bottom plate of the riser can be popped loose from the uprights without damaging anything. Then just bolt the riser to the Delrin plate. Of course you could make the plate any shape or size to fit your set-up or if the plate's big enough just bolt the whole riser as is to the plate.

John

post-14522-133877746353_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877746361_thumb.jpg

Thanks all.

Spaceboy - yes that worked last night (just), but lost be space for the dslr & lens option.

Steve - I've ordered an 11 inch one, it's got plenty of mounting points / drilled holes.

John - that's a nice bit of work.

Bits should arrive by the weekend, so will be kept busy Saturday morning,

Thank you all

I think you've uncovered one of the fundamental problems with Telrads - they're just too big and inelegant for small scopes. They were really designed for large Newtonian tubes, dobs, etc and perhaps larger SCT's, not refractors and other small o.t.a.'s.

Sorry to cast a dampener but for the money you've spent on the Telrad itself and the ADM plate, personally I would have bought a really good quality RDF (not the cheap,little ones) and one which uses standard mounting dovetails rather than sticky tape (yeuch!) plastic ties or drilling into tubes and mounting rings, all of which send a chill down my spine for some reason.

Sorry to cast a dampener but for the money you've spent on the Telrad itself and the ADM plate, personally I would have bought a really good quality RDF (not the cheap,little ones) and one which uses standard mounting dovetails rather than sticky tape (yeuch!) plastic ties or drilling into tubes and mounting rings, all of which send a chill down my spine for some reason.

That's ok & I know you're right.

But the main reason for the Telrad, other than the praise it receives, is to keep the top dove tail for my camera.

That's ok & I know you're right.

But the main reason for the Telrad, other than the praise it receives, is to keep the top dove tail for my camera.

OK, I understand. I do feel however that far too much praise is heaped on Telrads these days and that they're somewhat over-rated for the price. They were revolutionary when they first came out over 30 years ago, but I find it frustrating that in all that time the makers haven't attempted to improve the design, particularly in providing more elegant mounting solutions, offering better dew protection, etc., etc.

To my mind Telrads are a good concept but for too cheaply engineered these days for the price. Time for a Mk II Telrad anybody?

I think you've uncovered one of the fundamental problems with Telrads - they're just too big and inelegant for small scopes. They were really designed for large Newtonian tubes, dobs, etc and perhaps larger SCT's, not refractors and other small o.t.a.'s.

cabled tied mine to the refractor, works perfect.

but i rigel probably suits smaller scopes id admit.

148766dea330455ff0836a0c12ddf81c_15915.jpg?dl=1330365949

OK, I understand. I do feel however that far too much praise is heaped on Telrads these days and that they're somewhat over-rated for the price. They were revolutionary when they first came out over 30 years ago, but I find it frustrating that in all that time the makers haven't attempted to improve the design, particularly in providing more elegant mounting solutions, offering better dew protection, etc., etc.

To my mind Telrads are a good concept but for too cheaply engineered these days for the price. Time for a Mk II Telrad anybody?

I totally agree. For one I have often wondered why there is such a large battery compartment. Given the choice of similar designs, there is not much around. The Rigel would be the next best thing but that's not cheap and also for some unknown reason only have two aiming circles despite being practically the same design. I never did get how you star hop with either of them but many others seem to have sussed it ??

Thanks. Like many pieces of stargazing gear, the Telrad started off as a glorious piece of amateur engineering - an innovative fix initially for a few friends at the local astronomy club, which grew in popularity and became a global hit. But the company was never much more than a one man operation and I don't think Steve Kufeld, the founder, ever had the funds for product development, so we have today essentially the same under-engineered (i.m.o.h.) design dating from 1979.

I gather Telrads are now made by a couple of the late Mr Kufeld's employees, who I guess likewise lack the development funds. I think that's a pity because the classic Telrad, while still hugely popular, could be so much better with a more solid build and all the obvious weaknesses addressed.

I imagine any patents on the Telrad must have expired a long time ago, so it's a mystery to me why no one has attempted to improve on the design, which (again, just my opinion) has substantial room for improvement.

Archived