Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Single best filter to get

What, in everyone's opinion, is the most useful filter to buy? I have a 102 SLT refractor (an achro, rather than apo), although I may not keep it much longer, not decided. I also have a C8 so that would be the one seeing most use.

I'll be using 2" accessories, including my DSLR camera.

I'd think there are three choices:

the OIII filter.

http://www.firstlightoptics.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=boIII

£75 for the 2" version

UHC

http://www.firstlightoptics.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=buhcs

£70 for the 2" version

Or this new type thing, which I never read much about but it's cheap!

Neodymium:

http://www.firstlightoptics.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=bneodymium

Only £57 for the 2" version!

Which would see most use for mainly photographic work, with occasional visual use, if it's worth it?

UHC seems best then? I had a Skyglow filter before, but only used it for visual on the 102 refractor, and thought it was a waste of money. I suppose I would have seen some benefit had I used it for photography.

What's this neodymium thing about then? Anyone got one? How do they compare to other filters?

I had a Skyglow filter before, but only used it for visual on the 102 refractor, and thought it was a waste of money. I suppose I would have seen some benefit had I used it for photography.

I also tried a Skyglow filter and found the same as you - practically no difference. The UHC-S do seem to be more effective although the effect of all these filters is quite subtle and depends on conditions and the type of object being viewed. There is a 2 inch UHS-C for sale on UK Astro Buy & Sell at the moment.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone at all tried a Neodymium filter? Is it useful for imaging? I've still not got a filter yet, I know a couple of you said get the UHC-S but I've not heard much about the neodymium and I'd like to get the lowdown on that before making a purchase.

Has anyone tried the Neodymium filter for imaging?

I've got the 1.25" Neodynium filter and it's ok, not great. All it really does is darken the sky taking out street lights and the moon like most other LPR jobs but I find on a lot of objects you lose more detail than it's worth. I don't do imaging so I can't comment on it's performance there but I understand the new versions also filter the IR so I'd imagine it'd help for webcam images.

I've also got a UHC filter and it does what it says on the tin. It's a 'nebula' filter! For visual it does make a fair bit of difference.

Tony..

I'd go for the UHC-S filter. The OIII filter will take away too much light from your 102mm scope. I have the neodymium filter and agree with Tony on that - good but not great.

The UHC-S filter is a good 'un. I've had several chances to use it my my scope to see the Veil Nebula. With no filter its not there (or possibly visible but at the threshold of imagination...) but put the UHC filter in and bang... there it is. :D. The OIII filters greatest effects occur on far fewer objects than the UHC as well.

I'm not an imager however so what works for me may not apply to imaging!

James

Edit: Just read your post properly and spotted the reference to a C8. That would probably be big enough for use of an OIII but I still think the UHC would be the better bet!

I'm convinced no one really has a clue how the Neodymium filter stacks up against the UHC or OIII filters on the market, since I posted this query in a few different forums and have not had really a definitive answer on any of them.

But I ordered a UHC-S filter from FLO as you guys suggested, so I hope it's worth the cash! :D

I'm convinced no one really has a clue how the Neodymium filter stacks up against the UHC or OIII filters on the market, since I posted this query in a few different forums and have not had really a definitive answer on any of them.

But I ordered a UHC-S filter from FLO as you guys suggested, so I hope it's worth the cash! :D

I'm ready to be scythed down on this one, but a Neodymium is a completely different filter to an OIII and a UHC which is why you're probably not getting the answer you're looking for. A UHC/OIII would be about as much good as a chocolate fireguard on galaxies while a Neodymium would be pointless under a nice, dark sky. Different filters for different jobs.

Tony..

Has anyone actually thought about emailing baader to get their take on it, i guess if anyone knows it will be them since they designed it.

I guess another good way would be to find out exactly what wave lengths of light it aloows and blocks in comparison to the other filters, that would be a good start to compare how they are actually going to work.

Tony is right on money with this one. The UHC-S only works on specific Nebula, it's not a good all round filter. Just works well on the intended targets.

The Neodymium has a broader appeal. It merely boosts contrast by darkening the background sky. But this can really help in a badly light polluted area. Especially trying to find faint galaxies against a bright sky.

Also worth noting that the Neodymium works wonders on Jupiter and Mars. I ditched my colour filter set in favour of the Neodymium.

Imaging wise the Neodymium works wonders on images upto 2 mins. So a good filter for an unguided setup. It's far less aggressive than the LPR or UHC filters, so doesn't cut anywhere near the amount light.

I still have my Neodymium but sold my 2" UHC-S (it's the one on Astro Buy'n'sell). The Neodymium way to useful to sell. Especially from my cruddy skies where i just want a contrast boost.

Russ

Tony is right on money with this one. The UHC-S only works on specific Nebula, it's not a good all round filter. Just works well on the intended targets.

The Neodymium has a broader appeal. It merely boosts contrast by darkening the background sky. But this can really help in a badly light polluted area. Especially trying to find faint galaxies against a bright sky.

Also worth noting that the Neodymium works wonders on Jupiter and Mars. I ditched my colour filter set in favour of the Neodymium.

Imaging wise the Neodymium works wonders on images upto 2 mins. So a good filter for an unguided setup. It's far less aggressive than the LPR or UHC filters, so doesn't cut anywhere near the amount light.

I still have my Neodymium but sold my 2" UHC-S (it's the one on Astro Buy'n'sell). The Neodymium way to useful to sell. Especially from my cruddy skies where i just want a contrast boost.

Russ

Well, I already ordered the UHC-S filter, so I'll give it bash and see how it works. If need be I'll get a 1.25" Neodymium for visual use on Mars and Jupiter - I've read in a few places that, like you say, it's excellent on these two planets.

Archived