Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EP for best planet viewing.

Evening all

Looking to get a new EP, as i only have the ones that were supplied with the telescope and have been told their not great quality.

Ive got a Skywatcher 200 (1000 focal length). Thinking about these that ive posted below. But which is best, ive heard different opinions for the 6mm and 8mm and looking if you guys have advice. I have a 10 and 25, and a 2x barlow at the moment, but as i said, people have said their not the best quality.

First Light Optics - Vixen NPL eyepieces

With a 200p, 8mm seems to be generally agreed as usable on a regular basis for planetary. My 5mm (bought for my short refractor) gets occasional use, but unless the atmosphere is very stable, it's generally a non-starter in the 200p.

The BST Explorer/Skyguider EPs work well in F5 scopes with good correction over 80% of the FOV are nicely made and I find the twist up eye cups very effective. I can't comment on the Vixens NPLs, other than to say they do feel a touch lightweight and plastic in the hand, but they're well priced so don't exactly pose much of a risk.

It's also worth having a look at the TMB 'designed' EPs from Skys The Limit as they seem to keep colour fringing low, based on my experience of lunar viewing. Not quite the contrast of the BSTs, but a purple halo is a more obvious distraction.

If you buy from Alan, you can get more than one EP to do a comparison and then send the one you don't want back. That is a priceless service, in my humble opinion.

Russell

Matt, you will not get away with anything higher than 7 or 8mm, the f/5 ratio just does not gel with high mags, the 200p is a wide-field scope, not a planetary one, though you can get good results by choosing the right ep. Vixen NPL a good choice in my view.

If you come along to the next North Lincs astro meeting with your scope,

it will be a good chance (skies permitting) to try out some planetary E/Ps

from other members.

Hopefully this should help you chose one suitable for you

Archived