Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can't see through finder scope

Ok so I know the real answer to this is don't extend the legs on my eq6 too much but is there another solution?

Sometimes when I'm setup or setting up and the scope is pointing low it is impossible for me to get my eye to the finder scope on my C9.25.

So I could reduce the length of the legs, or use a stool, or adapt the finder to take a webcam so I can view on my laptop but is ther another option I've not thought of?

A different finder?

Thanks for reading,

justin

If you can buy base plates for the finder scope put 3 or 4 round the tube so you can move the finder to a better location, it gonna be fun lining them up so the finder is set the same in all of them, i put a extra Telrad base on my Reflector so spinning the tube bring one to the best viewing location, so you could get a Telrad and buy extra bases, they stick to the tube and more luck than judgement both mine point the Telrad to the chosen star right in the center...

First Light Optics - Additional baseplate for Telrad Finder

Why is it that you don't want to lower the whole scope? Is it to maintain a comfortable viewing position? I generally have to have the my scope low enough for my 10 year old to use and it used to murder my back after a while. The solution for me was to buy an adjustable ironing stool. I wont observe without it now. In terms of price versus increased views, for me its the best value item i've ever bought.

You could buy a right angle finder, perhaps?

Another good neck saving trick is to fire a green laser through the finder, which will then direct the beam correctly. I do this a lot for getting close to the target.

Olly

Olly, sorry to hijack the thread, but I had heard some rumors that firing a green laser through the finder could burn out the cross hair reticule, you obviously use it with success and I can`t see this happening with anything between 1 and 5 mW. I want to give it a try, but have been a bit reluctant because of some of these comments :)

John.

I have the same problem with my C9.25. I like to have the scope at sitting height, which means the finder is only accessible from the bottom of the patio...

I have an 80ED with diagonal + 22mm Nagler attached to the top... Awesome finder :)

Thanks for all the suggestions I'll investigate the cheaper options.

Of course ED80 sounds like a good idea and I guess you can then use is as a guide scope. Is necessary to 'drill' the OTA to fit or there some clever way of removing finder and attaching it?

Olly, sorry to hijack the thread, but I had heard some rumors that firing a green laser through the finder could burn out the cross hair reticule, you obviously use it with success and I can`t see this happening with anything between 1 and 5 mW. I want to give it a try, but have been a bit reluctant because of some of these comments :hello2:

John.

it takes about 1 min for a 300mw laser to burst a balloon ....:)

Of course ED80 sounds like a good idea and I guess you can then use is as a guide scope. Is necessary to 'drill' the OTA to fit or there some clever way of removing finder and attaching it?

I use an ADM mini-dovetail designed for the C9.25. It fastens to the holes already there, and then the 80ED and it rings just slide on.

First Light Optics - ADM Mini Dovetail System with Guidescope Rings

I use an ADM mini-dovetail designed for the C9.25. It fastens to the holes already there, and then the 80ED and it rings just slide on.

I see thank you.

Hmmmmm, so i'm wondering if my Konus 90 could be attached in a simialar manner. probably using the correct ring but not with the dovetail it already has.

Food for thought thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be a pain but I can't get my head around this, could you post a pic of the dovetail attached to you scope please?

I want to make sure I've got this right before I shell Out a £150.

Thanks,

Justin

Archived