moon filters ???

hi iam new to astronomy and was wondering do i need a filter to look at the moon or will i get good results from just my lenses if i need a filter what coulor would you sugest i get there are so many difrent ones out there

it can be a bit bright but First Light Optics - Baader Neutral Density Moon filters will cut it down but keep the colour for planets ,i have kept the dust cap on and removed the centre bit/cover [on a dob] [it reduces the brightness a good bit and makes the moon easier to view .

This also reduces the aperture of the scope. Not a great idea.

I find a Moon filter helps, get a neutral density one, not a coloured one, an ND filter will give you good unadultered views of the Moon, an ND96 (0.09) for apertures 150mm and more, or a ND96 (0.6) for smaller apertures. I recommend the following, which I have used:

1.25 inch Moon Filter: 0.9 Density - Astronomica

1.25 inch Moon Filter: 0.6 Density - Astronomica

They are a good price too, postage is on top, making about £10.50

I find find the Baader Neodymium filter to be great for lunar observing as it increases contrast a bit and helps bring out detail and gives the moon a natural "naked eye" tone. Of course it's also useful for other things as well.

I find I don't need a filter to reduce the brightness but if you do a variable polarizing filter is a good idea.

John

I have tried moon filters in the past but never got on with them. Even with larger apertures I don't find a filter necessary for the moon unless more than 50% illuminated. then I find the Baader Neodymium filter the best I have ever used. The good thing is it's also good for planets and also cust down light pollution (although I don't use it for this and darkens the sky when the moon is bright too.

Archived