Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 3rd March 14"Dob

Clayton

Had another go this morning. Better seeing than last time but not great due to some low grade Jetstream. I had to do a quick and dirty collimation job as every time I relocate this scope it goes out lot's, but I am getting the hang of it now:rolleyes: Still a few tracking issues in Alt, so a clutch adjustment coming up. Not enough time to leave it for a cup of coffee:D

post-16237-133877740534_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats your best yet by far very nice Rob, to the unexperianed one may think its just ok, its the bland side of Mars which is misleading, the quality compared to your previouse Mars shots is in a different class what happened ? a touch noisy on the poles to me here, that might be my dongle compressing.Can you post a png plz Rob my dongle doesnt destroy pngs. Im very impressed,.I think a touch more green and blue, or less red will whiten that cap. Way to go

Rubbish weather here all week. Im not happy with any nights ive had so far, its frustrating down here Rob

That looks fantastic Rob. Nice colour and detail coming through.

Thanks Sam:) I was a bit surprised myself, but I was able to use 1/500th sec exposure (probably could have used 1/1000th as there was more gain left)

Both very nice Rob - I think the second is a bit better though if pressed.....and I do think this is a jump up from your previous images even if this vista of Mars is a bit barren of details..!;):icon_salut:;)

We tried off & on last night but it was pretty pathetic and called it a night around 2.30am or so.....must have been a tad beter seeing up North!:)

Thats your best yet by far very nice Rob, to the unexperianed one may think its just ok, its the bland side of Mars which is misleading, the quality compared to your previouse Mars shots is in a different class what happened ? a touch noisy on the poles to me here, that might be my dongle compressing.Can you post a png plz Rob my dongle doesnt destroy pngs. Im very impressed,.I think a touch more green and blue, or less red will whiten that cap. Way to go

Rubbish weather here all week. Im not happy with any nights ive had so far, its frustrating down here Rob

I think the difference is in the heading Neil ;) I can't wait for some good seeing to try the Dob out. I think (perhaps) better and bigger optics are the main factors.

I hope things improve for you soon ;)

Repro below

post-16237-133877740539_thumb.png

Thanks Darryl, I went out at 12:30 and almost went back in as there was a fair bit of cloud, I decided to do a bit of visual observing :)

and by the time I had a bit of a look at Mars it had cleared a bit.

I banged off 6 AVIs before I decided to check collimation:rolleyes:;)

As usual it was way off, so I did a Q&D with a great improvement:icon_redface::)

(Note to self: Must collimate with more diligence ;) more often:D)

The seeing wasn't great, it was the fast stuff:(

Sorry you missed out :mad: better luck next time ;)

Great image Rob, it looks like there are great things to come from the 14" dob. Though being a bit picky, I do notice the fine grid showing through that the 618 colour cameras seem to be prone to.

Cheers,

Chris

Great image Rob, it looks like there are great things to come from the 14" dob. Though being a bit picky, I do notice the fine grid showing through that the 618 colour cameras seem to be prone to.

Cheers,

Chris

I haven't run it through PIPP as yet Chris, but will tonight if I get time ;)

In the mean time I want to try something else:rolleyes: Can you let me know if rotating the image helps (also perhaps altering your screen res)

post-16237-133877740544_thumb.png

Yes, I do think it is less obvious when turned 45 degrees, but it is still there. It is not over the whole planet, just a patch. To be honest it was not that noticeable in the original .jpg version (without enlarging it to 400%), but quite noticeable in the .png version. I guess that jpeg compression handily removes fine detail like that.

How matched were the R, G and B histograms in your original AVI? I am sure I stopped seeing this feature when I became obsessive at matching the R, G and B channels.

I am looking forward to seeing images from your new scope of the busy side of Mars. They should be really special.

Cheers,

Chris

That is very impressive Rob and a good size as well, icecap is certainly getting smaller.

John.

Thanks John!

I have never noticed before if the ice cap totally dissapears in the Martian Summer, but it certainly seems to be heading that way ;)

Yes, I do think it is less obvious when turned 45 degrees, but it is still there. It is not over the whole planet, just a patch. To be honest it was not that noticeable in the original .jpg version (without enlarging it to 400%), but quite noticeable in the .png version. I guess that jpeg compression handily removes fine detail like that.

How matched were the R, G and B histograms in your original AVI? I am sure I stopped seeing this feature when I became obsessive at matching the R, G and B channels.

I am looking forward to seeing images from your new scope of the busy side of Mars. They should be really special.

Cheers,

Chris

Here is the results from PIPP>AS!2>R6>CS3 with the Histo equalize switch???

post-16237-133877740558_thumb.jpg

post-16237-133877740561_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

I only get it at full gain and then not always, low histos and full gain is the real danger for them ive found. I never noticed it here, but then im getting to old for fine inspectionicon9.gif looking harder i see it now in the middle just going to check what analyzer does with it Rob

Image analyzer detected it as 3 blobs of noise im not sure which one it was it might be all three i would have to experiment, but its now gone, i didnt blur this away rob i subtracted the grid noise, it should ( hopefully ) be as is but with out the grid, were you at full gain Rob, its getting difficult to tell if its all gone

Chris is it all gone now compared to the png link Blowing it up and turning analyzer off and on its pretty much all gone you would need to see me switching off and on at high blow up to see, im sure its done the job. wonder what caused that. What sharpening do you use Rob ?

6948628909_4c11f5b2ae_o.png

Here is the results from PIPP>AS!2>R6>CS3 with the Histo equalize switch???

That process has completely cured the fine grid, though I preferred the final red colouring of your initial processing, well maybe a little less red! I guess you can get that back in CS3. I just tried a quick RGB balance of your image in R6 and that gave it nice natural colours to my eye.

Cheers,

Chris

I only get it at full gain and then not always, low histos and full gain is the real danger for them ive found. I never noticed it here, but then im getting to old for fine inspectionicon9.gif looking harder i see it now in the middle just going to check what analyzer does with it Rob

Image analyzer detected it as 3 blobs of noise im not sure which one it was it might be all three i would have to experiment, but its now gone, i didnt blur this away rob i subtracted the grid noise, it should ( hopefully ) be as is but with out the grid, were you at full gain Rob, its getting difficult to tell if its all gone

Chris is it all gone now compared to the png link Blowing it up and turning analyzer off and on its pretty much all gone you would need to see me switching off and on at high blow up to see, im sure its done the job. wonder what caused that. What sharpening do you use Rob ?

6948628909_4c11f5b2ae_o.png

That has cleaned up the obvious grid pattern in the centre, but has not touched the grid and lines around the edge of the planet. Though to be fair I did need to do a 400% zoom to see this.

I would love to know the actual cause of this, some with the OSC 618 sensors really struggle with this.

Cheers,

Chris

That has cleaned up the obvious grid pattern in the centre, but has not touched the grid and lines around the edge of the planet. Though to be fair I did need to do a 400% zoom to see this.

I would love to know the actual cause of this, some with the OSC 618 sensors really struggle with this.

Cheers,

Chris

Me too, ive had two cameras, one was better than the other for this weird as it sounds

Archived