all ordered waiting for the post man

hi all ive just ordered my 1st setup

Sky-Watcher Explorer-200P (EQ5) Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope

Tal Moon Filter

HM5 Polar Alignment Scope for EQ5 Mount

ms lifecam studio HD (already owned)

Delivery tomorrow from wex photographic but had to back order the HM5 Polar Alignment Scope for EQ5 Mount bit of a bummer but im sure ill have plenty to do when the rest arrives thats if the sky ever clears

It seems for weeks weve had nothing but low cloud cover and fog i suppose ill have to research more tutorials on here to keep me busy

i already converted my ms lifecam studio ready to go for my first lite test there seems to be mixed feelings about this cam so ill let everyone know how i get on with it i used this site

Instructions for Converting Microsoft Lifecam Cinema HD Webcam for Telescope Use -by Gary Honis

for the mod with just a few differences between cinema and studio cams heres hoping it all works lol..:p

You my friend are in for an exciting day then!;)

I suspect your first thoughts will be....."flippin heck...I didn't expect it to be that big"...

Take time to put it all together in the comfort of your front room....practice this and get familure with balancing the scope etc. ..this will pay dividends when you take it out in the dark for the first time..

Most of all though.....ENJOY!

Having also recently bought a 200P with an EQ5 mount, I'd like to warn you about a problem that I (and many others have had). It is regarding the screws you use to adjust the altitude. They are made of soft steel and are prone to bend and jam. This happened to me when I first set the scope up (a combination of clumsy hands and inexperience). I had no problem with the vendor Harrison Telescopes sorting it out, but I had to send the mount head back and it was gone for about three weeks. Not what you would want when you are keen to get out there and use it for the first time.

Having also recently bought a 200P with an EQ5 mount, I'd like to warn you about a problem that I (and many others have had). It is regarding the screws you use to adjust the altitude. They are made of soft steel and are prone to bend and jam. This happened to me when I first set the scope up (a combination of clumsy hands and inexperience). I had no problem with the vendor Harrison Telescopes sorting it out, but I had to send the mount head back and it was gone for about three weeks. Not what you would want when you are keen to get out there and use it for the first time.

Thanks for the warning Yimini, Kid gloves it is then im sitting waiting patiently as i type this please please mr postman hurry up ..;)

Congrats on your new scope ;)

Whilst you wait for the polarscope, you can just use the hole where it should go to roughly align it with polaris, which will be good enough for visual observing.

Good luck & clear skies ;)

How lucky was i lol clear skies most of the night my scope arrived today and ive been buzzin my bits off all night long i found the eq5 mount a little difficult to get to grips with but nothing im not up to it did have a polar alignment scope fitted to it so bonus saved £34 cancell that back order and order a laser collimator ill do a propper review soon as i have more time needless to say jupiter looked extremely well quite clear oh yes the collimation and secondry mirror were boss eyed and took me 3 hours to sort out to a viewable standard but there you go all day in the back of a van bouncin about probably does that lol paleides looked fab so did orions nebula and even venus and mars late on and ofcourse the moon i had excellent views of all the craters along the dark edge most of the evening all in all a good first night

now time for bed i thinks ..

Congrats Basher ;)

When you put the scope together outside, position the tripod and polar align the mount before putting the scope and weights on. This way everything will move easy when you turn the alt/az bolts.

If there's any readjusting to do after you've loaded the scope and weights on, then they will only be small movements and the risk of bending bolts will be greatly reduced. Exciting times ahead ;)

Another order here too.

Mines incoming from FLO !! (ordered yesterday).

Even a call fom them, this morning as they are tracking delivery for me - what service hey !

Enjoy yours guys - we're on that learning curve together.

200p and the eq5 are great for the price check with the supplier wheather or not the polar scope is fitted some say just the bracket for it is there in the description mine from wex came with one bonus as the description on there site sais polar bracket lol they dont know what there selling..im all manual at the mo need the wife to win again at bingo..

but planning on motors,laser collimator stabalisers of some sort and maybe an auto rig and duel focuser plus a cannon 450D when funds permit thats me skint for 5 years lol anyway have fun clear skies ;)

I have just bought a 200P flex auto and something is niggling me inside saying I should have bought the 200p with EQ5, don't know why as I love my scope but I just can't stop feeling I made the wrong choice ;)

whats the auto tracking like on it

my eq5 is manual and its like playing twister when slewing it around lol ..

You can mount a 200P on an eq5 if you get the tube rings and a dovetail for it. If you ever intend AP you'll need to go equatorial. The auto tracking is great cos you can "push to" and it just continues tracking anything it's pointed at - or you can use the arrow keys to star hop.

It's fine for observing on an eq5 but really the heq5 is more appropriate if you intend imaging dso's. The manual eq5 is a lot easier to manipulate when it's roughly polar aligned. Just point it north and set the latitude then you can swing it round in RA and Dec and track by turning the RA slo mo control ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I have just bought a 200P flex auto and something is niggling me inside saying I should have bought the 200p with EQ5, don't know why as I love my scope but I just can't stop feeling I made the wrong choice :)

I feel the same about my Heritage 130p. It came so highly recommended, but I wish I'd gone down the Equatorial Mount route now. :)

Archived