Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42

paulk

Thanks folks :p

I think it was only 9 lights, ISO800 200 seconds and a few darks. The neighbours lights were lighting up everything so I was just playing around with PHD really. The scope is a SW 80-ED Pro and it's on an EQ5 Pro.

I'll give it a proper try soon as I have my PHD settings fairly sorted out now, that was a mission in it's own right!

Keep the encouragement coming!!!

Paul, can I pick your brains about your guiding? I'm also trying to guide using the finder on my 80ED Pro, a SPC900NC and PHD but am really struggling for some reason. All I get on PHD is white noisy fuzz (thinking perhaps it is a driver problem). How have you attached the camera? I went for the home made foam option. Also, where is the focal point for you?

Thanks - and sorry for a mini thread hijack.

That's exactly how I'm doing it too. I use the auto setting for the webcam in PHD most of the time and black and white. I have two finders now so I have the one I use for the guiding set up just for the webcam, I focused in sharpcap the best I could and it seems OK.

The focal point is roughly the same as it would be with the finder centred with the scope. I have bodged a plumbing reducer as an adaptor that works really well.

Hope that helps, let me know if you want pics or anything.

That's exactly how I'm doing it too. I use the auto setting for the webcam in PHD most of the time and black and white. I have two finders now so I have the one I use for the guiding set up just for the webcam, I focused in sharpcap the best I could and it seems OK.

The focal point is roughly the same as it would be with the finder centred with the scope. I have bodged a plumbing reducer as an adaptor that works really well.

Hope that helps, let me know if you want pics or anything.

Ah, so you focused in sharpcap first? I hadn't thought of that. If you could post a picture of your setup that would be handy. I should also look into getting another finder and a picture of yours would help me decide where i should place it on the ED80.

Ah, so you focused in sharpcap first? I hadn't thought of that. If you could post a picture of your setup that would be handy. I should also look into getting another finder and a picture of yours would help me decide where i should place it on the ED80.

I have a 9x50 off of my 200P and just take the one out on th 80-ED and replace it with the one off of the 200P, they are the same.

I'll sort some pics out.

fantastic pic and very pleasing colour. was this pic taken with your canon 350d (self modded) or your canon 5d?

Also how hard did you find self modding your 350d, i'm itching to do mine but just have not got the dogs danglers to do it yet!

fantastic pic and very pleasing colour. was this pic taken with your canon 350d (self modded) or your canon 5d?

Also how hard did you find self modding your 350d, i'm itching to do mine but just have not got the dogs danglers to do it yet!

Thanks ;)

It was with the 350D, It's really quite easy. The best advice I can give is get decent screwdrivers as the first ones I bought were useless. The worst part was cutting the glue that holds the filter in with a scalpel, I haven't got a very steady hand!

Beautiful! Well done ;) I will save that image if you dont mind? :)

Thank-you very much, feel free to save it.

Thanks everyone

Paul

The colour is good. I guess you have a lot of light pollution but maybe you could avoid clipping the black point so hard? The sky background shouldn't be jet black.

RobH has a good tutorial on this. Item 4 on this page is the one covering the histogram. Middlehill Observatory, Dorset UK. The Astrophotography of Rob Hodgkinson.

Olly

Archived