Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Who else keeps a record of their observing?

ArmyAirForce

I've had my scope almost a week now, and I've been writing up a record of what objects I've observed and will also make records when I start photography. So far, the categories I've got are numerical lists of NGC and Messier objects, moon observations, planets and other solar system bodies. I record the date seen, and any other features observed such as craters, cloud features of surface features on planets.

There must be others who record what they see, and if so, what notes do you make?

Keeping an observation log is an excellent practice. Trouble is with so few clear nights the time gets spent feverously trying to get to as many targets as possible before the clouds roll in or the dew becomes a nuisance (no excuse really). What I do now is take quick video cam snapshots e.g. http://stargazerslounge.com/video-astronomy/176439-few-more-watec-images.html

of what I'm observing and a few notes for the log. This way I have a graphic reminder which I can compare to proper astrophotos later. I also download the Wikipedia constellation charts to pinpoint where the targets are.

I use a spreadsheet (containing details of all NGCs and ICs visible from my latitude) to list what I have seen and a give little detail. This also doubles up as a planner for upcoming potential targets.

I write my observations up on this forum and can compare notes, targets etc. with other punters. Nothing too scientific yet but they are a work in progress.

When I was starting out I kept no notes. When I got to the stage where I couldn't remember what I'd seen, I started keeping a list of objects. When there were too many for me to remember what they all looked like I made more detailed notes. For a while I sketched every DSO I observed. Then I realised that a brief description using standard terms would be more effective. Herschel of course realized all this in the 1780s: a lot of what we do is re-inventing the wheel.

There are astro spreadsheets all over the web which can easily be made into target lists or observing records. Some very good sources are Adventures In Deep Space, Wolfgang Steinicke's NGC website, and the SEDS Messier site.

Astronomical Catalogs in Excel

Astronomie-Homepage von Wolfgang Steinicke

Deep Sky Collections and Catalogs

For my notes I use an A4 hardback notebook: a blank artist's drawing book from Ryman's. The pages are heavy and thick, therefore dew resistant. As a further measure, I keep the book closed when I'm not writing in it, and also put it inside a plastic cover if conditions are very dewy. I take a small portable table to my observing site in order to make notes comfortably, and have a small LED red-filtered desk-lamp.

I first note time, sky quality, weather conditions. Then for each DSO I note its appearance using NGC/Herschel notation or my own abbreviations. If the object is unusual then I make a sketch. I have a separate printed target list where I tick off objects as I observe them. The aim is to minimise note-taking time while maximising the useful and relevant information in those notes.

My target list is the complete NGC down to my horizon. I've ordered it according to the chart numbers of my atlas and keep the printed sheets in a ring binder. When I'm observing I just decide which chart I'm going to be working on, take out the relevant sheets from the binder, and start observing. Next day I enter the observations in an Excel spreadsheet of the NGC/IC, just putting in the date of observation for each object. If I want to check up on a particular object I first look at the spreadsheet, see the date(s) of observation, then go and look in my notebook for that date to see what I recorded.

For dealing with large numbers of observations (over a thousand DSOs) I find this an effective procedure.

I keep a viewing log of all the items I have seen that night. Make quick notes on paper (location, date, time, equipment used, items viewed and people I was out with) and then write them up later on. I also put some of the viewing logs in the Wiltshire AS monthly magazine. Hopefully some people who might read my logs will get an interest to go out and do some viewing?

Peter

I use a small diary, to keep a log of what I've seen, dates times, what eye pieces I found especially useful and anything else I feel like.

I usually fill it in once I get inside at the end of the session while I'm warming up, but occasionally I take it outside and make a (really bad) sketch of what I'm looking at.

Tyr

I have tried to keep a log of anything that I observe. The notes, sketches go back as far as 1989. I have transferred most of them to Astroplanner which I think is a brilliant program that allows me to plan my observing in advance and then record the observations. Personally I am glad that I have kept a log because it allows me to look back and compare what I could see with the scopes I used to own. Also I can easily keep a record of variable star brightness and see how they change over time.

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. For me, note taking and lists gives a more ordered structure to observing, rather than aimlessly wandering around the sky looking for things.

if you want to plan your observing session then try this

Tonight's Sky Main Page

it is what I tend to use before a proper observing session.

I do not use it at public events because the general public just want to see the normal showstoppers

Archived