Final decision time guys.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My 200p also arrived today, 24 hrs after ordering. Cheshire thingy out of stock til end of week though. Can't tell you what it's like looking through it - thick fog this afternoon and blanketed cloud and fog tonight!

Sounds about right :p

My 200p also arrived today, 24 hrs after ordering. Cheshire thingy out of stock til end of week though. Can't tell you what it's like looking through it - thick fog this afternoon and blanketed cloud and fog tonight!

theres a law about that !

well i ordered it ;) £275.50 next day delivery ;)

Hope this will help me with stress too :)

I have had congenital birth defects since birth and at the age of 25 i had major problems and needed surgery to prevent my spinal cord being damaged :mad: which hindered my move out of my parents :(

So while i fully recoupe (which takes alot of time :( and stress i decided to do something ive wanted to do for years ad thats to look at the stars :) and this dob will help me ;).

thanks for all the advise guys :mad:

If you get any kind of backache with your condition then you will want to get an adjustable stool (maybe an ironing stool) to sit on, and a right angled finder. These two items will drastically improve viewing comfort. Plenty of warm clothing is a must too - it gets cold out there at night ;)

If you get any kind of backache with your condition then you will want to get an adjustable stool (maybe an ironing stool) to sit on, and a right angled finder. These two items will drastically improve viewing comfort. Plenty of warm clothing is a must too - it gets cold out there at night ;)

Was just about to ask if I needed anything extra that would make it easy. You have any suggestions on which right angle viewer to get also if you think any other eye piece that may improve viewing.

One more thing does the scope come with dust covers?.

i would get a low power eyepiece and a high power eyepiece,something like a 5 or 6mm for planetary viewing and a 32 mm for those bright wide views of deep space. the stock eyepieces are ok,,,but just ok,you can pick some decent eyepieces up for around £40 each that are much better.

the scope should come with a dust cap over the end and also dust caps for the finderscope and focuser.

It'll have a dust cap yes. I use the Orion 9x50 RACI (right angled correct image) finder - two of them - very nice pieces. The Skywatcher ones appear to be identical except in colour, but I don't know if there's a price advantage at all. I also use the Altair 9x60 RACI - bit more expensive but very nice with an illuminated reticle and adjustable eyepiece.

For the scope eyepieces get accustomed to the supplied ones first. Join an astro soc or obs group and try a few loaners to get an idea of what you'd like as an upgrade. EP's are a personal thing and what suits one doesn't allways suit another - it's what's best for you that counts. You can save a lot going s/h. ;)

Hi Simon,

Well you picked a good 'un in the end ;) Probably the start of a never-ending astro gear spending spree though, starting with the right angle finder and ironing stool!

Anyhoo, well done fella - be sure and share a first light report with us

ZG

Well all unpacked I was expecting the base to be big but it was actually the other way round but it's sitting nice.

Don't think I'll get to use it tonight as its raining and quite a lot of cloud and mist but it gives me time to read instructions etc ;)

Heh I seem to have misplaced the scopes instructions now I'm unsure what all the eye pieces are for.

Can you get an online instructions as I don't want to go back in the cellar to get them.

Dobs are a bit of a no brainer to figure out. Reading the destructions only waste valuable time. What EP do you have and are unsure about?

I have two eyepieces the super 10mm and the super 25

Now the two pieces I'm unsure of look like round hollow brackets with silver tightening screws.

Are these to go on the main scope eye piece or do I only use one of them ?

I have two eyepieces the super 10mm and the super 25

Now the two pieces I'm unsure of look like round hollow brackets with silver tightening screws.

Are these to go on the main scope eye piece or do I only use one of them ?

These sound like Barlow lens. Not sure why you would have 2 of them. Maybe one of them is some kind of extension tube.

Can you post a picture of them both?

I may be wrong, but the one on the left is the 1.25" EP holder, that should go into the scope where it needs to go (the focuser). The EP will then go into this. It is a 1.25" format.

The other one looks to be a 2" adapter for the focuser. This will allow you to use either 1.25" OR 2" EP with the scope.

I may be completely wrong. There are plenty of 200mm Dob owners here that can advise better.

Apparently the bigger part is called a Dual-Fit 1.25"/2" Crayford Focuser

So it simply allows you to use either 1.25" EP or 2" EP.

Unless you own any 2" EP...................dont worry about that part right now. All you have to do is fit the smaller part to the tube.

Got a very nice sky tonigh nice and clear, just been looking at the moon with the 10mm and the detail is amazing unfortunately couldn't align the scope to help me find Jupiter which is shining very bright next to Venus .

What I will do tomorrow as I look over a valley I will align the scope tomoz in day light although knowing me I'll not be very good at it.

Overall I'm impressed on the detail I have seen on our closest space rock :)

Archived