NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with dobsonian mount

I have a dobsonian mount and I have had an idea to mark out the azimuth in degrees on the base so when I turn the mount I know how many degrees my telescope is along the azimuth. The circumference of the base is 144.513262cm. But I cant figure out how to mark out the figures in degrees.

Any ideas on how to work out how much 1 degree is and how to mark it?

Cheers,

Seth

You can get a template here - take it to your local Staples offic supplies and they'll print it out full size for around £15 - then just stick on the base :p

Setting Circles - You are not logged in

(Just make a pointer on the top part of the base to point to it - add a Wixey for elevation and you'll have an amazingly accurate pointing system)

As Brantuk said ...

I've done mine a bit different, I didn't want to damage the mount so I've stripped the mount ans put the guide on the top if base and used a lovely red paper clip on the bottom! !

Works a treat and I can completely remove it if I resell

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
As Brantuk said ...

I've done mine a bit different, I didn't want to damage the mount so I've stripped the mount ans put the guide on the top if base and used a lovely red paper clip on the bottom! !

Works a treat and I can completely remove it if I resell

Good luck

Looks great.

I was just thinking/wondering. If you add a 360 degree template to your DOB base, does this mean that you then have to "polar align" your scope so that the zero degrees mark is facing north, 90 degrees is facing east etc?.

I usually point my dob at polaris , then set the marker at zero degrees, I guess this is polar aligning, but it is possible to point the scope at any object, then put the marker at the corresponding degree on the base. As long as the base is level, either method works ok.

Well using a combination of techniques suggested mine has partially worked just a bit flimsy will modify it a bit and put a pic up if I have time. Thanks.

Cheers,

Seth

Archived