Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stuck For Choice.

A friend of mine recomended that i get myself a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian from here

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

however as i have to move to a darkspot (about 10miles) and would still be able to fit the above into a car, he has now recomended a

Skywatcher Explorer 130 from the same place.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130.html

Now my question is, which of the 2 do i go for? My main focus is looking at planets and nubula. Most of this will be done from my back yard but as stated will also be going to local darksites (weather permitting) so im kind of stumped as to which way to go. Any opinions of which is better and why would be very very gratefully recived. :D

Strange he has gone from 200P to 130.

If you decide on the 130 get the P version, the parabolic mirror gives better images.

Why not the 150PL dobsonian? Bit smaller, easier to move, bit cheaper and very good.

sorry im still very new with regards to all these scopes ( im like a kid in a candy shop lol). But what is the 150PL? ive seen the 150p but cant find anything with 150PL :p

Strange he has gone from 200P to 130.

If you decide on the 130 get the P version, the parabolic mirror gives better images.

Why not the 150PL dobsonian? Bit smaller, easier to move, bit cheaper and very good.

I understand why he had picked either 200mm or 130mm. They are both the most popular scopes (that i can tell).

Huge difference though between 8" and 5" (visually speaking).

It boils down to how big of a scope you can honestly manage to move around. Most people have no trouble with 200mm (8"). A 130mm(5") would be a "grab n go" for them.

If you want to buy a 130mm.............you may as well buy a 150mm and if you want to buy a 150mm.................you may as well buy a 200mm.

Aperture is king (dont let people tell you otherwise). However it is only king as long as its usable (portable) to you.

sorry im still very new with regards to all these scopes ( im like a kid in a candy shop lol). But what is the 150PL? ive seen the 150p but cant find anything with 150PL :p

Here.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150PL OTA

Personally for a mobile set up I would stick with the Dob mounted version.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

Regards Steve

OK, thank you all for your opinions and info. I think i will stay with the 200 as

A) its only £70 more than the 150P

:) i will only be moving it to a dark spot once a month or so

So, once again thank you for your advice :p

Chris

Archived