Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to attch DSLR to OTA rings?

Astrosurf

Yes, it certainly wants something a lot better than that silly little bolt!! I found it totally hopeless too.

I should add - I think a DSLR needs better mounting that just the single tripod bush anyway, particularly if it isn't upright.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Dovetail Mounting Plates

+

MN486RC2 BALL HEAD by Manfrotto - Ffordes Photographic (though you will have to find one suitable [weight] for your DSLR.)

I like my manfrotto, others brands are available (I have a MN496.)

Sobs, so much dosh! I'll just have to keep an eye out in the sales. I wish there was a cheaper option. :D

Ta muchly.

TBH I can't say I have ever had a problem with the one on the OTA rings. OK it is fidly to get the canera on but once you get a few threads in the camera and pointed where you want it you just do the clamp ring up tight to the camera. I would maybe suggest you flip the clamp ring so you have the flatter surface against your camera and make sure the screw is tight into the OTA ring.

My solution the head piece come off a Slik Tripod, the dove tail fits on the Tube Rings or in the V-Block...the bolt by chance fits the Slik Head piece, just needed the hole in the V-Block drilling out..sorry about the poor quality, will take some more ...

2012-02-26225918.jpg

post-29949-133877738106_thumb.jpg

Great responses guys. :p I did manage to get the headpiece off my good-quality tripod and I managed to fit it to the tube ring. It's not perfect, but better than the standard connector.

Spaceboy, I think I might have had the clamp ring upside-down so will try again with that as an alternative if the head piece doesn't work.

David, thanks for the link. Looks a real possible if all else fails.

Archived