NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

APO checklist - is this right?

OK, I'm just toying with the idea of a small APO and Canon 1100D DSLR setup. I've found the following products from FLO that look good, is this all I will need?

Skywatcher Equinox 80 APO PRO OTA

FLO 2-inch T mount camera adapter

T Ring (Canon EOS AF)

I have a short 15cm dovetail plate which came with my EQ5 - is this suitable? Will the SW 90mm rings fit the scope, or are they too big?

I will use the diagonal and EPs from my current scope for visual use and will mount it on the EQ5, but I intend for this to be primarily an imaging setup.

How important is a field flattener? And which one is suitable? FLO offers a SW focal reducer which apparently "provides much improved field-edge correction", will this do? They are out of stock of the SW field flattener, but that is suited for f/5.5 - f/6 scopes anyway and the Equinox is f/6.25.

If I were to buy the focal reducer, I take it I will need the SW DSLR-M48 Ring Adapter as well? Would this replace the standard camera adaptor and T-ring?

Sorry for all the questions today. :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Becky, I think you will find the SW reducer is suited to the f/7.5 80ed refractors like the SW evostar pro, but it's not suitable for the faster ones like the Equinox. We have a refractor similar to the Equinox. We were looking at reducer and Flattener options. From what we read, the SW field Flattener works fine on the Equinox 80. I can't confirm that personally as we haven't got hold of the flattener yet!

With the Equinox, the t-ring and 2" t adapter you mention, you may find you will also need an extension tube to reach focus.

You'll need a decent mount for AP. Many suggest the HEQ6, but I am not a photographer.

Unfortunately, I can't stretch to buying a new mount right now. The EQ5 will have to do whilst I get my feet wet with photography.

Becky, I think you will find the SW reducer is suited to the f/7.5 80ed refractors like the SW evostar pro, but it's not suitable for the faster ones like the Equinox. We have a refractor similar to the Equinox. We were looking at reducer and Flattener options. From what we read, the SW field Flattener works fine on the Equinox 80. I can't confirm that personally as we haven't got hold of the flattener yet!

With the Equinox, the t-ring and 2" t adapter you mention, you may find you will also need an extension tube to reach focus.

Thanks Sarah. I think if I do go for this setup, I'll buy the flattener and/or reducer later if I need them.

I just re-read the description and the scope comes with a standard tripod bush - does this mean I won't need to buy rings?

Unfortunately, I can't stretch to buying a new mount right now. The EQ5 will have to do whilst I get my feet wet with photography.

Thanks Sarah. I think if I do go for this setup, I'll buy the flattener and/or reducer later if I need them.

I just re-read the description and the scope comes with a standard tripod bush - does this mean I won't need to buy rings?

No harm in testing the water to see if astrophotography is for you! And I personally agree that a reducer or flattener can wait until later. From what I have read, it looks like the Televue reducer TRF-2008 would work with the Equinox 80.

With my set up, the standard tripod foot is fine. I can get balanced with my DSLR attached. If balancing is an issue then you might need to add the dovetail and some rings.

I used an EQ5 for a while. Got some good shots and got 3 mins exposure on a good night.

Excellent, always good to hear from somebody who's had success with the same mount. :D

No harm in testing the water to see if astrophotography is for you! And I personally agree that a reducer or flattener can wait until later. From what I have read, it looks like the Televue reducer TRF-2008 would work with the Equinox 80.

With my set up, the standard tripod foot is fine. I can get balanced with my DSLR attached. If balancing is an issue then you might need to add the dovetail and some rings.

That price of that Televue is a bit hard to swallow. :) Does do both jobs though....

If I can save a few quid by not buying rings, that would be brilliant! :(

You could save yourself a few more quid by looking at the Ikharos 80 ED from Ian King Imaging. Had first light with mine last night, and I have to say that for the price (345 with matched corrector) I'm VERY impressed.

May not look quite as sexxy as the Equinox, but it's a lot of scope for the money!

You could save yourself a few more quid by looking at the Ikharos 80 ED from Ian King Imaging. Had first light with mine last night, and I have to say that for the price (345 with matched corrector) I'm VERY impressed.

May not look quite as sexxy as the Equinox, but it's a lot of scope for the money!

That is a good price! I'm actually a bit suspicious that it's so much cheaper, what's the catch lol!

I was looking at the Ikharos the other day. What additional stuff would I need with it? To go on an EQ5 mount I guess I would need to buy tube rings, dovetail bar etc? What about the focuser; can you attach DSLR direct with T-ring, or do I need an adapter as well, Sorry for all the questions, but all these things can really bump up the cost :D Thanks. CW

Of course, there's nothing to stop you getting the adapter and t-ring and just having a play with your current scope.

Might not be the most suitable scope in the world, but it can get you started on the path to learning all the skills you need - precise polar alignment, image processing, dealing with random computer screwups at 2am.....

:D

That is a good price! I'm actually a bit suspicious that it's so much cheaper, what's the catch lol!

No catch!! Just a blumming good scope for the price. I have one, it's my newest scope and has had the most use.

If you do buy it, consider buying together with the Flattener/Reducer as this will save you £40. £345 for both, buying them seperately will cost you £295 for the scope and 90 for the Reducer.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, seems this is also an option:

Starwave 80 ED Refractor Telescope*::*Refractor telescopes*::*Telescopes*::*Altair Astro

Someone pick one for me, I'm getting a headache! :(

We find any scope decisions are a nightmare. There are just so many options and usually they all have pros and cons, and of course price/budget can play a part too. :D But once you have decided it is very exciting! :)

There's a thread here about the Starwave 80 ED.

Apart from being f/7, whereas the Equinox 80 is f/6.25, the other main difference is that the optics are FPL51 whereas the Equinox 80 is FLP53. FPL53 is better, but it may only be marginally better. There's another thread here that you may find useful to read as well.

For me the focuser on the Starwave looks like it could be good. Whilst the focuser on the Equinox is much better than the focuser on the SW Evostar Pro, we still ended up replacing our Equinox 120 focuser. And with the 0.8 reducer/Flattener at an extra £50, if purchased together, the Starwave 80ED potentially looks like a well built and good priced option!

Gawd, this isn't easy.... :D:confused::(

Here's my concerns with the Starwave (and thus probably the Ikharus):

* Earl seems to have had all sorts of hassle attaching a DSLR and achieving correct focus. I'm having trouble getting my head around how it all works, but it looks like I'm going to have to buy an M48 to T-ring adaptor and possibly an extension tube?

* In his first deep sky photo, Earl points out some imperfections in the image and that one side looks "iffy" compared to the other.

* Not enough reviews or example images around yet for me to feel secure making a purchase. It's worrying me a bit that the Starwave has a rating of 1 star on the supplier website and its bigger brother doesn't fare much better. Can't find much in the way of reviews of the Ikharus either.

I know it will save me £200, but is it worth the risk? With the Equinox, I'd be getting a proven scope that people seem to have a generally positive opinion of. If the Starwave/Ikharus is really that good for less than £300, why would anyone buy a more expensive doublet? It's not an insignificant saving.

Arrggghh....

I can't speak about Earl's issues, because the focussers on the Ikharos and Starwaves differ - but for the Ikharos it's simply a case of screwing the flattener into the T-Ring, sticking the T-Ring on the camera, and plopping that into the focusser (with my Canon, at least!).

I went through the same thought processes as you prior to ordering, and then stumbled upon the sage wisdom "If they weren't any good, Ian King wouldn't sell them!"

I slapped a couple of images up that I took in the DeepSky section - but be warned, I'm very much a newbie at this - so not getting close to what the scope is probably capable of.

If one of the "East Anglian Imagers" meets that Rocketandroll was talking about ever come to fruition, you're more than welcome to have a play...

Thanks. :( I had a look at your images and they are very nice indeed. The flattener seems to be doing an excellent job, there's no obvious distortion like I saw in Earl's photos.

Interesting to hear that you've had no issues with attaching your Canon. That's quite a relief to me as I wasn't relishing the thought of fiddling about with extenders and non-standard adaptors! I wonder if the focusser on the Ikharus would be a better option for me than the one on the Starwave. Not sure what the benefit of the latter being bigger actually is.

I would love to have a look someday, thank you for the invitation. Unfortunately it's impossible for me to get away during the evenings as I have my toddler to look after, so I don't think that would be a possibility in the immediate future.

A few further questions then if I may? How are you finding the build quality? Is it particularly heavy? Are you using it exclusively for imaging and, if not, what EPs have you used with it? Do you have any trouble with backfocus using your DSLR? When you have a moment, any chance you could take a couple of photos of the scope?

Thanks for all your help, I'm slowly swaying towards the Ikharus or Starwave. :D

I also have no issues attaching my Sony Alpha. Build quality I may add is very good. I wouldn't say excellent for the following couple of reasons, but these are cosmetic and sorted easily.

1. The scope as delivered doesn't contain a finderscope. The holes for mounting one are on the focuser and they have grub screws inserted. However it is a straight through hole and on mine, as delivered, 2 of the grub screws had threaded themselves through and dropped into the tube slightly marking the inner lens. However IanKing offer excellent aftersales and my scope was replaced no questions asked. So ask for the grub screws to be removed before despatch and it will prevent this.

2 The Focuser/Flattener is enclosed in the main box but not secured so may damage the scope tube in transit. Again ask for it to be secured from movement before despatch.

3. Finally when I received my second scope after a few uses I noticed the retaining ring for the main lens, the one at the front with the Lens info on it, was actually rotating. It hadn't been tightened fully, so I just screwed it in tighter and that was that. I have bought lots of stuff from China, I partake in a hobby called Airsofting (boys with toy guns basically) and this sort of thing is common with Chinese products. It is always prudent to check all these fittings when purchasing a Chinese product.

Build quality is excellent. If I was being extremely nitpicky, then the little felt pads that secure the endcap to the dew shield could maybe hold things a little more snuggly, and the thumbscrew for the focusser lock could maybe be slightly bigger - but that's really clutching at straws!

I've not seen the Skywatcher Equinox range, but I had a gold-tube ED80 briefly, and the quality of this blows it out of the water.

Eyepieces? Looking through? What heresy is this of which you speak?? In all seriousness, I've only had the scope out the once so far, and haven't actually had a look through it - will try and do that, and get some pics next time the clouds clear.

jfox - Thanks for the tips, will keep those in mind if I order one. When you say I should ask for certain things to be done before dispatch, do I give them a ring once purchased and ask for this?

I see you have the Evostar 120 as well. I have the same scope - how does the Ikharus compare in terms of quality?

peonic - All sounds pretty good! The Equinox replaces the gold tube line-up I believe, so the quality should be similar.

Hope we get some clear skies soon, looking forward to seeing some pics! It will now be cloudy for a month of course.....

Build quality is comparable with the Evostar. I only have the rack and pinion focuser on the Evostar, and to be honest, it's not great. There's a fair bit of movement when focusing in and out. It will be changed as soon as I can afford a Crayford for it. View through both is excellent but the 80 will be used primarily for AP whereas the Evostar will be used almost exclusively for viewing as I have the 10" Newt for DSO imaging.

There is another problem but I think this is to do with all short tubes and not just the Ikharus. That is balancing it on your mount. With a 2" crayford fcuser as standard, a diagonal and a lens it does tend to be back heavy and I can't balance mine.

Mind you I am using a 2" diagonal and a SW 38mm Panaview 2" lens and that is a beast lol. It is mounted on an old GEM 1 mount from Orion Optics and mounted straight onto the baseplate. I haven't tried balancing it on my CG5 Goto and that might solve the problem

Personally I would make the order over the phone and make your requests for the seperate packing for the other bits at the same time.

The Satarwave is very good, the only drawback is the fact that the flattener has a M48 thread, which means you need an adapter.

Having owned a fair few small APO's it worth the effort to sort out an adapter as the scope is the best I have used so far.

The problem lots of people have with the evostar Pro is the focuser, really does need to be tinkered with to get it to do what it should do out the box, optically its a good scope.

Archived