Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APO checklist - is this right?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You will need a M48 Female to Male T adapter.

Thanks for that Earl. Yeah, how did I guess it wouldn't end there:rolleyes:

It looks like, with the Ikharos, you can just buy the £345 package and you are ready to go. No brainer for me & my wallet :p

Worth a look at Telescope Service as they have the same scope as the Altair with the 3" focuser (although more expensive) as they have photos and details of the adpators.

TS 80ED f/7 3" Focuser

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4650_TS-80mm-f-7-ED-APO---3--Crayford-Auszug-fuer-Astrofotografie.html

3" Flattener

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4047_TS-3--Flattener-fuer-Refraktoren---68mm-freie-Oeffnung-bis-Vollfor.html

John

sorry was in the middle of a game on cod, im not sure what flattener (sure its not that one though as that is much wider) this is and i have been unable to get a confirmed spec especially distances needed.

Thanks for the links John, good to see some photos. :p

Cheers Earl, will have a chat with them tomorrow and probably Ian King too. I've already sent them another email with some questions. Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated! :)

Catweazel, if you buy the Ikharos and I buy the Starwave, we'll have to compare them. :D

I don't think we'll be unhappy whichever one we buy. ;) And finishing up for the evening on a happy note, my husband has agreed to let me have one! :)

Catweazel, if you buy the Ikharos and I buy the Starwave, we'll have to compare them. ;)

for sure, although I may not be buying one for a while :p

I don't think we'll be unhappy whichever one we buy. :) And finishing up for the evening on a happy note, my husband has agreed to let me have one! :)

So, your turn to wash up for the next 5 years then :D

Probably have to do more than washing-up lol. :)

I emailed Altair Astro about the adaptor. Not sure they understood my question, they linked me to an M48 extension. :p I've sent another email asking if the extender/t-ring combo I linked to earlier is suitable.....

Right, decision has been made. Ikharos 80ED will be winging it's way to me tomorrow!

Ian King (I assume I was speaking to the man himself) was very helpful and answered all my questions. With the flattener and appropriate t-ring for my Canon, total came to £356. Not bad!

He only has a couple of the Ikharos 80's left in stock. When they are gone, they will be replaced with the Starwave 80ED which will come from Altair Astro! :) There is no difference in the actual scopes, other than branding. The 3" focusser while nice, will apparently give me no benefit if I'm not using a full-frame DSLR or CCD camera, plus there are the adaptor issues and extra cost. Haven't heard anything back from Altair Astro regarding this, but will update this thread when I do.

Have also ordered my camera, hopefully that will arrive soon and I can start imaging! :p

You'll love it. :p

Feel free to yell if you need any help!

Not wanting to spend MORE of your money, but I reckon with a dual mounting bar and a webcam, that Evostar of yours could be turned into a pretty nifty guidescope - something to think about once you've got to grips with the Ikharos!

I had wondered about using the Evostar as a guidescope. Seems a bit counter-intuitive to have a larger scope doing the guiding, but whatever works, eh? :p Goodness knows what my EQ5 will make of all that weight though!

Thanks for all your help over the last couple of days (and Earl, jfox and Sarah too!). I will almost certainly be picking your brains again after everything arrives. :)

Not sure if you are still thingking about the Equinox (to many posts to read on my phone). If you add rings with the 6" dovetail the dew shield does not retract fully. It stops about 2cm short. It still fits in the case but you need to remember not to push the shield to hard when collapsing.

It's arrived! Going to post a new thread with pics in a little while. :)

Woohoo! :) And what are your initial impressions of it?

Forgot to mention you may want to consider a Bhatinov mask, to help with getting good focus. Not essential, but it makes focusing with the camera so much easier.

Looking forward to some pics later! :p

Just about to start a new thread, though I haven't had time to take many pics as a curious toddler keeps hanging around.

I like it a lot, feels very solid and heavy. Looking forward to testing it out rather than just leaving it looking all pretty on the mount. :p

Archived