Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion - what is wrong?

Do you mean the offset halos on the brighter stars?

you could Try stopping the lens down a bit... but this will probably introduce diffraction spikes depending on the number and shape of the Iris diaphragm blades... If you dont like them then you could use a front aperture mask to reduce the aperture instead...

Peter...

The only thing I see that would be a problem is the halos around the brighter stars. Like Peter said I would stop the lens down to say F4ish and try again. If you start getting star spikes start taking shorter exposures but take more of them and the stack them in DSS.

It was the halo effect that I was talking about - sorry was in a rush this morning!

You don't get a good feel for them, as I had to shrink the photo to get it on here.

Full size though they are very obvious.

I will give F4 a chance.

Thanks, Jeff

Front aperture masks are easy to make and work well.

Then there's time. If you bung in about 80 hours you can get a bit deeper... or seek psychiatric help!!! (Might be a bettr bet in hindsight...)

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Photography/Widefield-images-including/ORION-FIN-V3-WEB/1169360248_zJFJG-X3.jpg

Olly

i have same issue/effect with my canon 50mm 1.4, i need to stop it down to around f4 to get pinpoint stars, even though it's sharp already at 1.8 during daytime.

nothing to do about it other then to stop it down or accept the bad effect on the stars i'm afraid.. :D

Archived