Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR Controller android or alternatives ?

jasperuk

I am investigating the possibility of getting hold of DSLR Controller android software DSLR Controller :: Home and connecting my ARCHOS 80 G9 to the Canon T2i (550D) rebel digital SLR, going to try astrophotography again but I don’t want to carry the laptop around with me due to its weight. (I got enought to carry with a EQ3-2 mount)

First off has anyone had any experience with this or anything similar....?

Second i have been told I have to have a OTG (On the Go) USB Host cable to make this work, as there is a £5 ish expense for one of these cables again does anyone have any experience with them, do they work or is there a cheaper alternative.... (I tried a small Female to Female USB block connector with the standard ARCHOS and Canon cables but it did not seem to work)

Any help or advice would be appreciated...

Cheers

• 6 months later...

Do you mean something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timer-Remote-switch-Pentax-RS-60E3/dp/B001C6JYSA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1346052582&sr=8-15

Bit odd as the link says Pentax but the text says Canon.

Go to amazon.co.uk and in the search window enter:

canon remote exposure control

Just bought on of the ones marked Shoot for the Sony I have.

Several prices and all look amazingly the same, even different prices from the same supplier. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I started off using a programmable remote, but found the laptop combined with APT a much better combination. I can take an exposure of the length planned and check on-screen that the focus is ok, the framing is the way I want, the stars aren't over-exposed and that there's no trailing. The programmable remote is cheap enough that it's ok to experiment with and I agree it's a fag having to carry yet another piece of kit such as a laptop around, but if it means I get a better end result then I can live with it.

James

He asked for alternatives and said he didn't want to carry the laptop around,

Then someone else appeared asking similar, but not actually saying what they specifically wanted to know.

Ultimately no idea what is wanted really so just supplied information.

Without being negative I suspect the idea is to try and see what comes out as a 150P on an EQ3 simply isn't right for astrophotography - weight of scope+DSLR, a light mount, no guidance. So exposures over 60 seconds are probably out of it, maybe even over 30 sec are pushing it.

Depends on what standard of image you are aiming for.

This was 90 sec subs with an unmodded Canon 1000D / 150P on an EQ3-2. I have had 3 min subs out of it on occasion, but 90 sec was doable most nights. At the time, I was very happy with this. Wind was the real killer though. A close fly-by from a brave moth and the sub was ruined. I had a scrap rate of about 40%. It's not ideal, but it is possible to use.

gallery_18573_493_1338790483_12567.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived