Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

If you had £200 to spend on a refractor...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget the Revelation ED and Moonfish Apo. They have the better build with optics that couldn't be told apart from the ED80 visually.

Maybe worth placing a wanted ad. I had quite a bit of success by doing that.

Russ

St120 with a collimatable cell?... never seen one of those??

Not sure what planet I was on when I added to this thread early on!!! Mines an Evostar (with adjustable objective) not an ST!! :oops:

Too many long work days and late nights on call!!

Sorry

Bill£ :wink:

One thing the Sentinels/ Revelations do have over the ED80 is size. The ED80 is a longer f/l, in a 100mm tube and doesn't have a retractable dew shield.

A longer f/l isn't a bad thing, though, and the dew shield doesn't cause any problem that I'm aware of. I think the ED80 is a good choice.

On the "other" astro buy and sell web site, UK Astro Ads, someone is selling a TAL100-RS on the motor driven TAL MT-3S eq mount with both the wooden tripod and a nice pedestal as well for £250 all in.

The TAL is a great quality 4inch achromatic refractor.

John

One thing the Sentinels/ Revelations do have over the ED80 is size. The ED80 is a longer f/l, in a 100mm tube and doesn't have a retractable dew shield.

A longer f/l isn't a bad thing, though, and the dew shield doesn't cause any problem that I'm aware of. I think the ED80 is a good choice.

It is a good choice, I was merely pointing out a couple of 'cons'. The ED80 is a VERY big scope for a 80mm refractor. :wink:

On the "other" astro buy and sell web site, UK Astro Ads, someone is selling a TAL100-RS on the motor driven TAL MT-3S eq mount with both the wooden tripod and a nice pedestal as well for £250 all in.

The TAL is a great quality 4inch achromatic refractor.

John

You can buy the OTA for £180 with rings (and a dovetail I think) and a couple of EP's new! If you hadn't got me thinking about a short tube jobbie for grab & go/learning the sky/possible imaging, I'd be looking at another TAL...

Tony..

You can buy the OTA for £180 with rings (and a dovetail I think) and a couple of EP's new! If you hadn't got me thinking about a short tube jobbie for grab & go/learning the sky/possible imaging, I'd be looking at another TAL...

Almost too much choice these days isn't there :wink:

John

Funny you should say that because I had my parents round on Sunday and they were saying that when they go shopping in a supermarket, they get 'dazzled' because there's so much choice, they go in and just buy the same brands time after time otherwise they'll be in there all day...

What confuses me with astro stuff is there's only a few manufacturers but loads of companies selling what's essentially the same product. Now I'm sure that some of the time, you're buying a brand name but it can't be like that in every case can it? Take the ZS80 or ED80, how many 'clones' are there? Are they all the same just different brand names or is there actual differences?

What's making it even worse is the missus egging me on to spend more money on something 'better'... :shock:...

Tony..

Archived