Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Viewing with back problems

Hi

Wanting to get into the hobby further and buy a scope, unfortunately I have a back problem amongst other things a L4/L5 herniated disc that’s torn and drained causing severe pain, affecting daily life constantly.

Up to a few days ago I was thinking about a Sky Watcher 200p + EQ5, after having the opportunity to use one for a short while I realised that I couldn’t cope with awkwardness of leaning forward to view through the finder scope, even standing viewing through the eyepiece became impossible for me after a very short while, not to mention the weight and awkward set up procedure.

Excitedly getting carried away with scope research and best buys etc, silly of me not to have considered my disabilities and limitations, glad I hadn’t bought one.

Would a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian using seated be worth considering? or are there better options. Is it possible to fit a 45º finder scope or Telrad to fully eliminate bending, leaning forward neck twisting?

Any advice please, especially from fellow severe lower back pain suffers would be greatly appreciated......Thanks

I have exactly the same problem.

I have a refractor, SCT and a Skywatcher 200P dob.

The most comfortable to use by a large margin is the C8 SCT - and it's the lightest.

I have a good adjustable stool to get the viewing height just right and I can spend hours out in the cold without a problem.

The C8 is fitted with a right angle finder which is much easier to use than a straight through version.

As the C8 is light it can be mounted on a CG5 which are also fairly light.

Hope that helps.

You can get a Right Angled Finder so you only have to look down into it - some have a corrected image (up/down left/right). I use the correct image ones on all my scopes - much more comfy - they can be angled to the side as well for the best position.

I also use an adjustable ironing chair to take out the back strain. Ocassionaly I do have to stand up to view. Dobsonian mounts sit on the floor so the eyepiece is just about right for most seated viewing on the smaller apertures 10" and less.

Best thing is to pop along to an astronomy retailer and take your chair with you so you can try out. If you choose a quiet time I'm sure an assistant will be happy to help you make an appropriate scope selection. :)

Another thing to consider with the 200 Dob is carrying it from it's resting place to your viewing area. It can be quite a lump to move with your condition (my wife has similar disc problems and I can see the pain on her face sometimes)).

Just a thought.

dood i hear ya i have a connective tissue disorder and pain everywere all the time. i found that a height adjustable kitchen stool is great as i can line myself up on the ep with out sqwating in a awkward postion and having to crane me neck...the other thing to remember is if you could to prevent lugging it in and out all the time is maybe building a pier for it with some sort of roll on roll off cover?............sg...............

I had a chunk of my spine removed last year and still suffer with lumbar pain from an old motorcycle accident. My 200P dob suits me well as I can carry it 10ft out onto the patio, and sitting on a folding camping stool puts the eyepiece at a comfortable height.

Hi, I get the back pain issue, and something that does make a difference when trying to sit while viewing is a tripod that can easily be taken up or down a few inches as needed rather than a solid dob mount. Being able to shift the eyepeice just a few inches either way makes a huge difference to your sitting position.

Good luck and hope this helped,

Jay

Archived