NEQ6 Power Supply

I've gone a little mad and bought a C9.25 and NEQ6 mount. Chuffed to bits actually :(

My questions are:

Can I operate the mount with mains power? What do I need to do this?

What ratings do I need. i.e. voltage, amps, etc..

Also, if I get a power tank - what should I look for? Again volts, amps, etc. and recommendations if you have any?

Sorry if these seem basic questions, but I'm hopeless with electronics. The last thing I want to do is kill my new toy :)

Can't wait to get operational :p

Hiya Jamie

Not mad at all - You won't be disappointed - I use a C9.25 on an NEQ6 and it's a brilliant combination.

To power the mount from the mains you could get something like this:

12V 5A Car Socket Power Supply : 12V Car Accessory Power Supplies : Maplin Electronics

Regarding the Powertank - you need 12 Volts ( most of them are 12V to match standard car voltage). Then it's your choice of what size you want in terms of Amphours - the higher the Amphours, the longer the tank will power the mount .

Hope this helps

Steve

If you are going to be using a mains power supply make sure it is protected by a water proof IP rated enclosure and also use an earth leakage circuit breaker. You will need a 12V 5A suppy as this will easily suppy the 3A or less needed whilst slewing the scope. The centre tip of the plug is positive.

If you are going to be using a mains power supply make sure it is protected by a water proof IP rated enclosure and also use an earth leakage circuit breaker

Sorry - should have made that clear in my post too

..and yes ArmyAirForce - you can use a car battery - just make sure that you connect the plug centre tip positive

Thanks for the replies :)

So I'm looking for 12V 5A DC power supply.

I was actually thinking about using the mains supply indoors while I read through the manual and get familiar with the mount, then get a power tank of some sort for outdoor use.

The scope is on back order from the supplier and its not here to use yet anyway.

What does 'tip positive' mean??? A couple of you mention it in this thread, and it is also mentioned in the instruction manual

Heavy-Duty 5-in-1 Jump Starter : Jump Starters : Maplin Electronics

I've just bought the above power supply from Maplin. It comes with a mains to 12V 5A DC adapter for charging. Looks like I didn't need the adapter from eBay. At least I've got a spare :)

The one from ebay will probably be more up to the job, the chargers with cheaper booster packs are not brilliant. I'm actually surprised it's a 5 amp, normally they're about 1-2amp.

I keep one of these in the car float charged to run my amateur radio gear, I also have one in the house fully charged as a spare, but its finding another use to power the NEQ6 at night and refreshed during the day.

I now have a 100m reel of 25amp red/black cable that I will be using to make a 12v extension lead from one of my 30amp power supply's in the house, those batteries are really heavy to carry out and in every clear night.

Dani

:)

To power the mount from the mains you could get something like this:

12V 5A Car Socket Power Supply : 12V Car Accessory Power Supplies : Maplin Electronics

The two pictures in your link are of differing products - which one do you have? I got the more boxy version, with vents in (rather than the one that is more like a brick). The (very) bad bit about it is that the fan is excessively noisy/whiney. I ended up replacing mine with a second of the 5A PSUs from Modern Astronomy.

I always used one from Modern Astronomy to power the mount, but wanted a second with a cigar socket output (like the Maplins one) to power my dew heater and focus controler. I finally found a cigar to 2.1mm cable.

It would be nice to hear that Maplins now sell one without a fan that includes the cigar socket. Is that the case?

• 1 year later...

In a general way it might be possible to use a 12v motorcycle battery or a sealed industrial one. The latter is around 8" by 4 by 3, roughly. They are quite light and really handy. I have used them to power 12 v pumps and the like. They are also handy for powering lights - useful if you need a bit more illumination than a torch, red or otherwise. Can't give details as away from home at moment. Just a thought!

Archived