Red LED torch

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Simon, i use the Skywatcher red LED but i finding this a liitle cumbersome. Depends what you are using it for really, i use mine at the EP, then a look at my Sky Atlas then for recording my observations and to do all that with torch in hand is not ideal.

I am looking at purchasing a red LED head torch as this would free up both hand's which would be ideal for me.

This is the one I use (amonst others)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Energizer-Wilkinson-Sword-Ltd-625466/dp/B000IX2IJA

It has a 3-way switch. one way white, the other red.

For chart reading I use the lowest brightness possible which is in the form of a Maglight Solitaire (the AAA one) with the lens painted with red nail varnish.

I have it on a lanyard around my neck so its always to hand.

The switch has three positions.

the switch in a central position is flashlight off. Move the switch left its red. Move it right its White.

No chance of a dose of white light unless you have troubles with your left and right :icon_scratch:

post-21030-133877732261_thumb.jpg

This is a good one, uses a 9 Volt Battery so with 2 LED's i suspect it will last many years before it needs replacing..

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Dual LED

I hate to say it but I just bought this torch and its not what I expected for £16 or whatever. Its cheap plastic, the PCB rattles inside and I would be suprised if the switch lasts the month let alone a year. I would expect to pay no more that a fiver for it to be honest.:icon_scratch:

The only problem with that is you will be hit by a motorist and then he'll say “sorry mate I didn't see you”

Cheap alternative but always better to keep both hands free and still be able to point the light where you want it.

As a say Petzl are the best head lamps I've seen and most rock climbers would agree.

Paul

Sent from my Android tablet

The switch has three positions.

the switch in a central position is flashlight off. Move the switch left its red. Move it right its White.

No chance of a dose of white light unless you have troubles with your left and right :icon_scratch:

yep, i have the same, perfect for the job. i dont normally have it on my head,just round my neck. sometimes you see them on offer.

I've got a few Maglites. I have found that they used to do a red led conversion kit but it seems that has been discontinued. I've opted for a red filter which goes over the front of the torch. I use it on a lanyard so I don't lose it.

Simon

I've got a few LED torches - what I've heard is put red nail varnish on them - has anyone actually tried this and does it work?

Yes it works, I mentioned it earlier in the thread :)

other way as well is colour it with a red sharpie pen then a layer of clear nail varnish over the top to seal it.

Rigel Starlite. red and white, variable output down to a very low level, you need to switch between the two. It comes with a lanyard, but you can hold it in your teeth. The LEDs are recessed to stop you blinding yourself and others when you use it for charts. Remember you want to use the least amount of light you can!

PEterW

Archived