Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

One step forward, two steps back....

Can you capture still images onto your PC with this camera?

Hi Mick,

You need either a video capture card for a desktop or a USB capture dongle for a laptop. I bought the latter off Ebay last night for £15 delivered, so I should be able to stack multiple images.

Yes, it shows more detail all round. Basically you can set the watec to stack between 1 and 256 frames (equivalent to max 10.24 sec exposure) and then show this on screen. You can adjust gain etc as well. I like looking at clusters where you can start with a short stack and then up the length and watch more and more stars appear - its good fun! Its also great for DSOs eg crab nebula big and clear, ring nebula with central star, only seen Orion once, but filled the screen and was WOW. And then you can capture, stack and process. As a bonus, focusing is easy because it can be set to real-time, and its good for collimation too..

Helen

Archived