Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Book T L AT O

I’ve ordered a SW Explorer 200p EQ5, thinking of getting this book seen it recommended a few times, is it really only any good to the Dobsonian user? most references seem to be using a Dob in the southern hemisphere?

Looking at Amazon book description of 4th edition 22 September 2011, new spiral binding ISBN978-0-521-15397-3 says…..

Also designed for Dobsonian telescopes, as well as for smaller reflectors and refractors, and covers Southern hemisphere objects in more detail.

Is there only one Turn Left AT Orion, should I order it?

Thanks

I’ve ordered a SW Explorer 200p EQ5, thinking of getting this book seen it recommended a few times, is it really only any good to the Dobsonian user?

It's the first astronomy book I got and it's still my favourite.

I don't think it matters which mount you have, it's not biased towards any particular telescope type.

If I remember correctly there is a comment discouraging goto (fishing analogy I think), but even if you have goto I think you'd still enjoy it and get a lot out of it.

The 4th edition is the current version.

the 3rd edition was very good but they made it a bit more user friendly for using outside with the spiral binding and larger pages.

I own a copy of the 3rd and 4th editions and they differ by quite a lot.

They have rewritten a great deal of the preface and descriptions and included extra sections on double star observing.

The layout of each page is enhanced in the newer version with better descriptions and catering for both small and large telescopes alike.

The drawing used throughout are of a very high quality.

Although I have seen most of the Northern Hemishere objects in the book (within my kits limitations) I still use it often as it such a good read :)

I bought it shortly after getting my first scope last year and found it very useful. The diagrams are mainly easy to follow and it really helps you get the hang of starhopping.

The only negative point is that there isn't enough content for me. I browsed through it the other night and was struggling to find anything that I'd either not seen or that I was able to see from my LP site.

I would recommend it but I use the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders far more these days.

Archived