NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyWatcher Auto Focuser on SW Explorer 130P?

SCOOB_81

I can confirm that the skywatcher auto focuser does fit onto the 130p with the 2" focuser. I have this scope First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO and my mother-in-law got me the auto focuser as an xmas present. As above posters have noted unscrewing the knobs was a bit of a strain, but resoting to brute force solved that problem. The auto-focuser attached directly to the focuser with no problems and no parts that were not inculded in the box were needed.

• 5 months later...

I just found this thread. It's good to know that the skywatcher auto focuser does fit onto the 130p with the 2" focuser. Mine has this and I'll be looking to buy and fit one soon as I had a hell of a problem focusing on Jupiter at higher mags the other night. The view in the eyepiece shifted quite a lot between racking in and racking out... Looks a much cheaper solution tryng to fit a better manual focuser.

It's nice to find older threads that answer your questions...

Best,

Good luck. I still haven't done mine as I bought a Skyliner 200p around the time of the post and was not sure how much I would use the 130p afterwards. As the Dob is no good for webcam use I am pretty certain I will be ordering the auto focuser when I start using the webcam again in the autumn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

im getting this for xmas!! just took my focuser off (same as above - 2") and with a swift twist the knobs unscrewed nicely, the red stuff on the thread is thread lock :) cant wait to get mine, is the auto focuser a lot smoother then the original 2" rack and pinion?

• 1 year later...

I have managed to attach the Skywatcher Auto Focuser to my SW 4.5" reflector, which, I believe, has the same rack and pinion focuser as 130P has.

It requires a bit of DIY not only regarding the bracket, but with the way to attach the motor to a focusing rod as well, as non of the supplied adaptors are intended for the rack and pinion focusers.

I have made the bracked from a piece of 2 mm aluminium of preferred width and I have made the piece that joins the focusing rod with the motor from a piece of hollow aluminium rod and fixed it in place with a couple of worm bolts. It does not look elegant, but works quite well.

I have supplied pictures.

I know you posted this reply a couple of years but I have only just noticed during my search to find the same info.  My question is how did you remove the knob on the 130P focuser in order to fit the autofocuser to the shaft?  The knobs on my 130P appear to be glued or moulded on the shaft.  There are no grub screws or anything that facilitates their removal.

Thanks

Mike

• 8 months later...

Hi, would it be possible to fit a Auto focuser to a SW BK1309 EQ2 ? This is my first telescope and I'm really enjoying the views, but as mentioned above, when trying to get pin sharp focusing the object I'm viewing ends up moving all over the place.

• 6 years later...