NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TELRAD issues

I couldn't live without my Telrad and suggest it to anyone in need of a viewfinder. I set it up the same day my husband gave me the telescope for my birthday some years ago.

Yesterday, I noticed that the adhesive holding it to my scope was becoming weaker. Imagine my surprise when it actually came partially unattached in the middle of "capturing" a small look at Jupiter.

What would you recommend using as a means to repair this case of "unstickyness"?

Isabelle

As well as getting a good quality double sided foam tape, make sure you clean the tube first with either isopropanol or something similar to get rid of any grease and get a truly clean surface. Also do it inside in the warm, and allow 24 hours after sticking the base down before fitting the Telrad as the adhesive can take up to 24 hours to cure fully and reach full strength.

John

Splendid! Thank you for all of your suggestions! I live far from stores so will probably use the internet to purchase the double foam tape (the one used for cars as Micheal explained) . Thank you for the hints John!

I think I'll wait on the screws and see how well the double side foam works Kheldar. I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind!

Velcro and cable ties might prove useful until the double sided foam makes its way to the secluded north.

Thank you so much everyone!

Isabelle

Archived