Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

witch head/horsehead

Good evening SGL members. Just a quick one. I would dearly love to see The Witch head Nebula and the Horse head Nebula. But I only own a lowly 200p Dob. My question is, What size scope would you need to see these ? or are they an astro photography target only ? I am under no illusions that they would be visible from a light polluted area. Or am I wrong, would not be the first time. Any info on this would be great. Thanks all.

I've seen the witches broom and eastern veil from a very dark site with a 16" Lightbridge and a filter (Oii I think) in a 28mm Uwan. But the horse head is very faint - would need a bigger dob in the 20"+ range I reckon and even then might be iffy. :icon_salut:

There was a recent thread in the observing section on the visibility (or otherwise) of the Horse Head Nebula:

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-deep-sky/171101-horse-head-nebula-visual-target.html

I've seen the Witches Broom segment of the Veil Nebula with a 4" scope and an O-III filter on a dark night but I'm not sure if that's the same as the Witch Head ?.

Horse head is pretty much a no no visually by all accounts from most locations although it may be possible from very dark sites with a large scope.

The Veil is visible with an O III filter from reasonable sites in smaller scopes. I have managed with a 4" apo and 31mm nagler and OIII. You should be able to get it with your scope

Stu

As Steve points out, the OP was asking about IC2118. IC2118 is about 3 degrees across and I'm pretty sure it's a photography-only object. When I look it up in Sky Tools and set my location to mag 7 skies and instrument to a 25" the software still says it's beyond the reach of the scope.

The horsehead is hard and is helped very significantly by an H beta filter. Failing that, a UHC filter is the next best candidate. If I were guessing, I'd say that you may be able to see the nebula itself with the 8" under very good conditions but probably not the horsehead itself.

In about two weeks time (NO MOON!!) i will be in the mountains in Austria with my C8. It can magnificently dark and crystal clear there (800+ meters above sea level). I will give the horsehead a try, but the witch's head is well beyond reach I think.

The very best of luck. Fingers crossed for ya. Are you taking an H-Beta filter to give yourself the best chance?

The very best of luck. Fingers crossed for ya. Are you taking an H-Beta filter to give yourself the best chance?

Thanks. Haven't got that H-beta filter yet (scrambling to get a 12T4 before prices skyrocket). Will have to make do with my UHC. Having bagged some pretty faint ones from the back garden (Crescent, Bubble, California) I know I have the skills to see very faint stuff in good skies. Fingers crossed for the weather.

Thanks. Haven't got that H-beta filter yet (scrambling to get a 12T4 before prices skyrocket). Will have to make do with my UHC. Having bagged some pretty faint ones from the back garden (Crescent, Bubble, California) I know I have the skills to see very faint stuff in good skies. Fingers crossed for the weather.

Good luck buddy, fingers crossed for you. Great choice that 12mm T4. But then I'm slightly biased.:icon_salut:

Regards Steve

Good luck buddy, fingers crossed for you. Great choice that 12mm T4. But then I'm slightly biased.:)

Regards Steve

Just ordered mine: 329 euros at Robtics | Astronomische Instrumenten en Accessoires, I know some people have had issues with robtics, but 70 euro price difference is too much to ignore. Should arrive tomorrow :icon_salut:. It means I am going to sell the 14mm UWA, most likely.

Archived