NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How cold is to cold for a reflector telescope

Hi all

I have recently bought skywatcher explorer 150pl. Just outside the other night and it was around -3c. First night out with the scope so lasted about 2 1/2 hours.

Anyone ever experienced any problems from observing in these temperatures?

Thinking logically about it, I would think a fast change in temperature could possibly cause damage, could be wrong though!

Thanks for any comments

Scott

I'm really confused about quite what a dew shield is for? The telescope goes outside to cool for an hour and then we heat it up again? Am I missing something? Is it going on the primary or somewhere else. Excuse the novice.

I've happily observed outside at -15 and there's no problem for the scope/mount. Your power supply may suffer though if you have one.

When finished I just put the scope/mount in my garage or a shed to warm up gradually the next morning.

James

According to our local weather forecasts it was supposed to be -6 last night in Bristol. I was out from about 7 until just 9. The 3 inch reflector I'm presently using was white with frost but worked perfectly. The only problem I encountered was my breath condensing on the lens of the barlow and eyepieces and then freezing !!! When I finished, I just left everything in my conservatory, which was colder than indoors but warmer than outdoors :clouds1:

When I double checked all the kit this morning, everything was perfect :D

CFN

Archived