Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good Telescope

I was looking for a good first telescope, the Celestron Astromaster 130eq caught my eye, but reviews are saying the red dot finder is rubbish. I have looked at alternatives and the one that seems most promising is the Sky-Watcher Explorer 130p. Is this a decent scope? Or would there be better alternatives? Thanks in Advance. :)

Hey Bryan196,

I had a Astromaster 130eq and it is a great scope to start out with. You can see the moon with good detail, also good for viewing planets and some deep sky objects. The red dot finder is no good so I bought a laser along with a v-mount.

Hope this helps you out!

If you do get a reflector, you don't really need a dew shield, unless to get rid of extraraneous light. Not a great worry with reflectors to be honest. Look at replacing the finder as has been suggested in the first instance.

Another question about the two telescope, will the focal length have a massive impact on what i see? I noticed the Skywatcher has a 900mm focal length while the Celestron has a 650mm focal length. Is there a big difference?

Archived