Wanting feedback before purchasing this

Hi everyone.

Looking to buy a first proper scope. Had a couple of bargain ones which were useless when I tried to observe anything.

Found this First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130P and obviously it has good feedback and allegedly a good first scope for noobs like me.

Does anyone have one of these and would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance

Si

welcome to sgl. Yes I would recommend it with a few proviso's

1 if it's the maximum amount of money I wanted to spend

2 If I wanted it on an eq mount

3 if I didn't want to put a camera on it at anytime

4 If I didn't want anything bigger

I don't own this scope but have used a mate's and it's a very good scope, would I recommend it yes with those provisos with more money there are better scopes and with less money there is a scope with the same optics but if you want the most inexpensive decent scope with an eq mount thats the one to go for

I think you need to ask yourself if you are really interested in astronomy. If you've got the bug (and the money!) I would get one as large as you can afford. If not then the 150p should get you started and a bit more. Dobs are best bang for buck if you are into visual observing.

Simon

thanks for all the feedback guys. didn't expect so many replies :)

I was looking into the 150p. but funds are tight.

looking on FLO the 150p doesn't come with the mount (which I don't already have one), so i would cost me over £115 more. Mrs r2k12 would not be happy. lol.

Looks like the 130p is the one for me. When i prove to her that I'm serious about this then a can upgrade.

Saying that the 150P dob is only £200...

Hi Simon, yes the 150P Dob is only £200, which makes it about £20 more than the 130P on a EQ mount. If you don't want to get involved in AP, then I would go for the 150P, as the extra aperture will make quite a bit of difference to what you will see. :)

Archived