Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What got you started ??

Lyrated

Hello All

I see all this great information and knowledge in most things in astronomy but what i would like to know is

What got you started into astronomy?

I am one of the latest batch of the Brian Cox stargazing live noobies :)

It would be interesting to see what was the key to making everybody hooked/skint lol.

growing up in the 70s thats all was on the telly,after that whilst serving in Germanyin the late 80s,we did a ite guard at a place called Munster nord ,they had some masive bino`s on a pier they was at least 30x100 instead of looking round the place i pointed them up one nigh twow i could not bleave what i was seeing

I've always been interested in astronomy since I was a kid. The recent interest, the last five years, got sparked by the Galaxy zoo project which I joined when we had a good Internet connection. At the time I thought it would be good to see some for the objects for myself (obviously not the deep stuff). The next stop was a telescope followed by a lot more money and time - all good though.

Sam

I had an interest when I was younger but nothing more than staring at the stars or sitting outside watching meteor showers and such. I always wanted to do more but my situation never really allowed it.

Then after moving to Belgium with my wife she bought me my first telescope and haven't looked back since.

Always been interested in what might be up there but never did anything about it. Went to KSC last December and got interested again to the degree that I watched endless programs about the shuttle, apollo etc on discovery over a few weeks and decided to buy a scope so I could peer upwards. If ever you get an opportunity to visit KSC, you have got to do it, although aimed at schools and such there is a lot of very interesting things for adults to see and learn. Seeing all those vehicles that have been out there is truely inspiring. It certainly stirred something inside me anyway.

I was 9 when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. That ignited the interest in me which was further fuelled by a Christmas gift of the Observers Book of Astronomy and joining the school Astronomy club at age 11.

Archived