Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good seeing tonight.

marcopolo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good here on the East Coast, Jupiter with Europa & Ganymede just on the edge of the disk and the GRS too, 300x in my Dob. Nice clear veiw of Venus as well, for a change, Mrs asking why there's a bit missing off Venus.

Need to get the thermals on though

Mrs asking why there's a bit missing off Venus.

I got the munchies last night. Sorry.

Looks like it could be good here, too. Scope already outside to cool. Despite the bitter cold this morning (could have been last night, too, but I had my beer overcoat on when I walked home) there was no frost, so I reckon there's not much moisture in the air (so these freezing north-easterly winds are good for something after all). If it's as good as it looks then I might be able to pick off my last few winter Messier objects.

James

Need to get the thermals on though

I'm sat here in the warm living room - remoted into the observatory PC and running off subs of the moon as the sky gets dark :)

Automation has it's advantages :(

Hope you guys don't get get frostbite tonight -- my weather station is showing -0.4c and it's just turned 5pm :D

Looking good in herts area, just got in and scope is already in the garden, first chance to use my 8mm bst on my 200p with good seeing.

Wrapping up warn mind, shame my fleece lined trousers are in the wash!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Well the seeing here's dropped from 6/10 to about 3-4. Dang.

Oh well, I saw a shadow pass right over the GRS at around 5pm... I think.

Maybe if the Jetstream shifts off below the UK........ot'g going in the right direction just now.

I managed to get a quick image of the shadow transit, which I've posted, before the clouds came. I was using a BST 5mm EP in the 300 Dob and the image was fantastic, GRS and shadow lovely and clear.

Guys, you can't beat my best seeing in months. The street lights otherwise staring me in the face were off! What a joy!

Besides that, the moon was beautiful (was late for Jupiter), the resolution on some small land (moon?) features was superb. Have yet to figure out the size of the smallest crater I saw at 240x.

My fingerless gloves were the first piece of equipment to fail last night. Lesson learnt!

Conditions last night were not as good as I first anticipated.

Looking at Mars last night in the early hours the sky was boiling like a couldren..

Very little in the way of surface detail was disernable other than the polar ice cap.

Conditions last night were not as good as I first anticipated.

Looking at Mars last night in the early hours the sky was boiling like a couldren..

Very little in the way of surface detail was disernable other than the polar ice cap.

Yeah, I found that to be the case too - having switched over to web cam from dSLR it was really difficult to capture any decent quality video

It was surprising really.

At first I thought it was due to Mars low elevation and sitting over the neighbours rooftops but even when I checked at zenith seeing was no better than 5/10

Mixed in with a bright quarter moon made observing a challenge last night!

Did you post up any of your webcam images from last night?

Archived