NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astwood Observatory -

Robd

Ok then guys and gals this is the first steps in what will be a long ( and no doubt pricey :o ) project.

The plan is to convert this –

image.jpg

To this

image.jpg

:) :)

Ok then not exactly the latter but you get the idea. The small brickwork is the remains of the greenhouse footings . The Heq5 stands nicely on the 4 2x2 slabs in the top picture. The trouble is I keep tripping over the walls, and that’s alcohol free and in while it's still light.

So the first phase is to remove all the hazards and re-lay the slabs to give me a stable platform for the summer and probably this winter.

The second stage will be to complete all the unrelated tasks – new greenhouse staging, decking in front of summerhouse, pond in front of decking, holidays ( especially the holidays ).

image.jpg

This will give time to work out exactly where and how high the pillar should be and how high the dome can be.

The existing obs. houses the LX200 in a 9ft dia dome. This is a bit big but it was originally designed for a 10” reflector. We can also get 4 in there comfortably.

So the basic plan is to extend the existing obs. By 7 to 10 ft and add the second ‘dome’ with hopefully a ‘warm’ area between the two scopes.

As can be seen there is some work needed on the existing structure so I will probably start from scratch with a new base, walls and roof, re-using timber wherever possible. Some repair work is needed to the dome on two counts more on that later on..

I found the fibreglass approach used last time to be most unpleasant and a lot more expensive than anticipated so this time I intend to use all wood. Therefore the dome will actually be a cylinder or more precisely an octagon, chopped off at about 45deg. This should be a lot easier to construct. The flat areas of the roof will be felted. Guttering is a must – most of the damage is from water splashing back off the ground.

So back to the existing dome. The first thoughts were to ditch it and start again but because of it’s good size and the amount of work that went into it I now intend repairing it if possible.

Two problems –

1) There has been some water ingress that has rotted some of the hardboard lining. The lining is easy enough to fill but I need to clean 8 years of grime from the outside and then seal the whole surface.

2) The ring holding the support wheels is sagging. This has resulted in the skirt getting very close to the roof in places. Additionally the base ring has warped so that in one position there are only two support wheels making contact.

Question – Do any of you have any experience with fibreglass – what can I use to clean it, other than a stiff brush and soapy water, what can I use to seal the whole surface once clean? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Hmmm! I wonder what about a standard exterior filler and a tin of grey floor paint such as

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=14817&ts=48390 assuming it is light grey.

The sagging will be fixed by adding fillets between the base ring and each of the dome ribs.

The only major decision left then is how to make the running rings. The current wooden ring was a pain to make ( it’s all fabricated from 8’x4’ sheets of ¾ plywood and of course has warped badly. The plan now is to use 4”x2” timber to make the basic frame ( octagonal ) and then fit a steel ring to it. I was originally thinking of using angle iron – two rings to form an open box section the outer at 9’ dia. the inner smaller by the wheel size (x2). But I am now thinking that a single flat section 3/16” x 3” x 28’ or thereabouts giving a vertical edge will be cheaper – only 1 ring required and may get away without having it rolled to shape. Problem then of course is getting suitable grooved wheels. Soooo perhaps the angle iron will be better – actually only require 1 ring per dome – the wheels can sit vertically and horizontally on the wooden dome ring.

So that’s it so far. New posting to follow with progress to date.

First stage of the Astwood Observatory conversion is to remove the old greenhouse base to leave a flat paved area for the skywatcher.

Current ankle breaking ground.

image.jpg

and from the summerhouse

image.jpg

It has to get worse before it gets better

image.jpg

Oh heck what have I started :) :)

image.jpg

Success. :o:D:)

image.jpg

The scope is pretty much in the correct position – Polaris is above the left top corner of the shutter between the two conifers. Should do nicely for starters. I guess about 15 hours work spread over 3 ( hot ) days. The large shrub ( berberis ) in the foreground on left has since been drastically pruned to give a better southern horizon, the plan is to let it grow to obscure the house but not the sky.

The grotty patch of grass is where I used to stand. It got a bit muddy so someone, fortunately not me, thought a bit of bark would protect it. Now liberally covered with pigeon food. Hopefully they will miss some and it will grow.

Next phase will be to price up the rings for the two domes – do drawings etc, whilst carrying out the horticultural projects.

More words drawings etc. as they happen - but don't hold your breath.

Hi Rob

That's quite a project that you are about to undertake, but the end result is going to be quite and observatory.

Do keep us photographically 'posted', as the work progresses. Having an obs myself, I find it of great interest to see how other people go about building theirs.

Good luck with the project.

Dave

Wonderful stuff Rob. Hard work will make you tired, but that's all. Just keep in mind what you will have achieved at the end of it all.

How many wonderful hours you are going to spend in an environment that is going to be well suited to your astronomy.

I am going to follow suit, as I had an Ob once and I miss it badly, so I am going to do it all over again.

I looked at one of those Skyshed Pods that are emerging onto the scene now. I quite like the look of them, but not the price. Pretty steep so I guess it has to be make your own time again.

Keep up the good work. You'll win in the end.

Ron. :)

Dave & Ron thanks for the comments.

I know the difference it makes after 6 years with the single scope in the oservatory it was a bit of a shock when I returned to the outdorr viewing. The oservatory scores on two counts ( at least ) shelter from the cold,dew,breeze and also neighbouring lights. Fortunaltely the latter is not too bad but once side has young children who can't sleep without the landing lights on, the other has a lovely kitchen light that would do a car park proud. Fortunatley it is only ever on while she makes a cuppa. The worst light comes from the north - local factory is lit up like the shuttle launch site. Hence the trees to the north remain.

There is a certain satisfaction in building yopur own Ob. Ultimately it may not be a lot cheaper than some of those off the shelf but the joy of converting those scrappy doodles on the back of a beer mat into reallity is well worth the reality.

Super and good luck..

The only part of this that I can help you with is the cleaning of the fiberglass bit....

As I have no idea how to build an observatory...

Best stuff for cleaning GRP or fiberglass is ...

Bobby Dazzler caravan cleaner... :shock:

Mmm you ask..Yes I have a caravan... Or I prefer to call it a mobile holiday observatory.. :)

Washes the algae off easily, prevents re-growth and removes staining..

Cheap as well. If you're too embarrassed to venture into a caravan shop Halfords stock it.

....Found on the top shelf...In a brown wrapper.

Greg

Thanks guys.

Phattire - thanks for the tip. No problems with the caravan shop I use our local for camping bits and bobs. Even occasionally have a look at the vans. We have got to the age now where dragging ouselves up off an airbed in the morning without falling and dragging the whole tent down makes a caravan look tempting....

Looks a brilliant project and best of luck.

I've nearly finished my roll off job but will follow your progress with interest.

For filling fibreglass, how about something like isopon P38 car body filler?

Dave

Dave ( Stardust )

Yes I thought something like that. Trouble is it brings back bad memories of trying to repair rust holes in my mini and maxi back in the 70's. Never was any good at bodywork despite working in the motor industry for 12 years. Much rather strip an engine down.

Archived