complete newbie who would like some advise please :)

Hi all,

My names Steve from Essex.

This is all new to me.

I've joined hoping you guys and girls could offer me some much needed advise on telescopes.

My main love was and still is motorbikes but my first child is due in 20 days - exciting times :D and I'm now leaving the bikes alone and want to get into a new hobby where I don't put myself at risk and I don't think there's anything else amazing other then the skys above.

I'm on a budget of £200 to £300 and was wondering what's a good telescope to buy for such a newbie.

Look forward to speaking to you all and hopefully get to meet up with you some time.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Steve- the Skyliner 200p would be a great choice, easy to set up and store and great views

Astronomy for you will also be a great new hobby as you've next to no chance of getting any sleep for the next two years so once the wife has the new arrival all tucked up you had just aswel do something with your night time lol

Good luck with the scope and with the new additiontion to the family

I am also a motorbike man and getting my first 'proper' scope. Having read up and looked into all sorts I am probably gonna go for the Skyliner 200P Dob. I am still considering the Explorer 200P but that nearly £400. I think the Skyliner is without doubt the best views for the money out there. Unlike you I'm sticking with the bike as well as the scope but I can't find a way to strap the Skyliner to my bike lol

Perfect hobby for new dads. The baby will be waking up several times in the night and you won't be getting any sleep. So outside with a scope and baby alarm. You want something easy to set up and bring in and out the house for these nights. I'd suggest a smaller 150p dob. Your missus will let you buy if you help with the night feeding. Good luck!

I am also a motorbike man and getting my first 'proper' scope. Having read up and looked into all sorts I am probably gonna go for the Skyliner 200P Dob. I am still considering the Explorer 200P but that nearly £400. I think the Skyliner is without doubt the best views for the money out there. Unlike you I'm sticking with the bike as well as the scope but I can't find a way to strap the Skyliner to my bike lol

this may give you some ideas

post-17191-133877725598_thumb.gif

Hi, Steve from Essex,

I have Skyliner 200p Dobsonian in the post. My first telescope although I've used other people's. A Dobsonian is dead easy to point and set up. And if the hobby take off and you find you're getting better and bigger I think you'll still use it for that quick look-see, for transporting to darker sites or for showing friends (or children!)

This bloke managed to strap a 24" fork mounted Newt on a push bike. You should have no problem strapping a 200p on your motor bike :D

more pic here

post-21986-133877725692_thumb.jpg

post-21986-133877725702_thumb.jpg

welcome Steve,

A 200 mm Dob is a brilliant first scope, affordable and will give great views. You'll probably need to allow another £150-£200 within the year to add Telrad , extra EPs , barlow , cheshire .

Great pastime .

Exciting time for you with stars and new addition to your family.

Good luck with all new experiences.

Clear skies and the odd nights sleep!

Bart

Hi Steve and welcome to the Stargazers Lounge

Well it looks like you have a fine scope in mind, if your anything like most of us you can add a zero to the end of Barts suggested extra spending lol...

So what about an astronomical name for the baby perhaps Orion, Rigel or Jupiter for a boy Venus, Celeste, Bellatrix or Stella for a girl... (maybe not)

Hi Steve and welcome to the SGL, I was in the same boat as you minus the wee one on the way! and I have gone for the 200P DOB, these guys suggested it and I have only heard good things about this scope. Im hoping to get mine in a few weeks! :(

All the very best to you and your partner with the coming ear bashing and baggy eyes! hehe

And those pics you guys put up are EPIC!!! :D:)

Cheers

Steve

Hi all

Thanks for the advise.

Still no sign of baby yet but I'm liking the names that were given and maybe while I have still have my bike I may try strapping the scope to the back and venture out lol

Another scope I've come accross is the

Celestron Astromaster 130EQ

Amazon have it on offer at the moment.

Just had to pay for a bill that's taken my budget abit lower :)

Got afew good reviews but thought I'd ask then pro's first :)

I am a newbie after all

I too climbed off motorbikes while more or less in one piece! It's a good idea with a little'un on the way.

You've had great advice regarding the 8 inch Dob. At one time a scope like that would really have been quite expensive - five times today's price in real terms. Not many could afford them.

Olly

Archived