NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar shots from the 10th June

Starman

• 3 weeks later...

Great images Pete. Seen a few CaK images now and I'm starting to see the appeal of the PST CaK. Had a look on the BAA Solar Section and there's some cracking CaK images there......I think some are yours too Pete.

Very nice

These are great. I was looking at this group come over the limb from Tucson this weekend.

I love the side-by-side comparison images here. Look carefully at the differences and similarities between features in these images. Specifically, the size and details around the sunspots, the size of the granularity cells, the filament stretching between the spots in the HA and lack of it in CaK. See the differences in structure of the brighter plages around the spots in both, and the new actice region visible in CaK nearer the edge. See the darker areas of twisting plasma in the HA. I like the limb darkening in both.

Outstanding once again, Mr. Lawrence!

Great images Pete! Could I just ask a quick question? Is it possible to take images through a PST at prime focus with a DSLR? I just (literally a few minutes ago) got my PST and want to check out the possibility of taking unguided shots at prime focus.

Phil

Hi Phil,

No not without a mechanical modification to the PST which isn't really feasible on later models. If you have a 2x Barlow hanging around, unscrew the lens bit from the end and screw it onto the nose piece of the your camera adapter.

Cheers,

Pete

No not without a mechanical modification to the PST which isn't really feasible on later models. If you have a 2x Barlow hanging around, unscrew the lens bit from the end and screw it onto the nose piece of the your camera adapter.

Cheers,

Pete

Thanks Pete, I just bought an Orion Shorty Plus 2x barlow. Is it possible to do the modification you describe without damaging the barlow? I bought it to allow prime focus photography through my Dob and would like to keep it in one piece :wink:

Phil

Well I just had my first proper session with my PST... :shock: Amazing!!! I had a good look at the sunspot group and noticed a looped prominence on the right limb. What a sight! I haven't really got the hang of the whole tuning lark so if anyone wants to jump in here and explain I'd appreciate it :wink:

I briefly tried the eyepiece that came with the scope but to call it naff would be a gross understatement. Instead I used the Orion sirius plossl 10mm that came with my Dob. At 40x I could see a good amount of detail but solar granulation was visible at the edge of perception rather than clear.

I did try my DSLR at prime focus with an unmodified shorty barlow but I couldn't bring it to focus. I can unscrew the whole lens assembly out of the tube but I suspect that isn't what you meant (or is it?). If it is possible to get effective focus with a barlow I would love to start imaging the sun. Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

p.s. what's the best effective magnification that provides the greatest amount of detail?

Archived