Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Small black thing arrived in a box yesterday

WO 66mm Petzval version refractor.

Got it from here

http://www.astroshop.de/en/telescopes/our-recommendations/telescopes-for-terrestrial-observations/zenithstar-66-od-tubus--black--with-carrying-bag---action-offer

Cost including shipping was £162-00 and took about three weeks to arrive.

Needed a small scope and being on a very tight budget, this one footed the bill nicely.

It will be mainly used up front of my D40 camera for daytime nature stuff photography

and in it's other life will be a finder on my 8" F5 Newt and a guide scope in a future project

and of course a widefield astro photography scope.

Also, I will be putting a wooden pier in the garden beside my garden bench and on top of this will go a homemade

ALT/AZ mount with setting circles to take the little scope for quick look about moments.

Lovely scope, beautifuly made with a superb focuser.

The Petzval has a bit of CA which doesn't bother me at all but worth noting.

Only had a few minutes play but got the camera on the back and took some shots around the garden.

Beautiful sharp lens with very nice contrast.

Looking forward to trying it on a clear sky.

A bargain 8) :)

This shot from about 25 feet away WO66 + Nikon D40 prime focus

petzval-test.jpg

Wow looks like you came up with a winner there!

Would be great as a piggy back scope but I wonder if the Celestron C8 SE would hold it ok? Also would it put a lot of pressure on the Goto clutch?

Very nice picture of that rose loads of detail and sharp crispness and colour.

Well shopped a bargain I would say. Have fun with it.

Kindest regards David

What a good buy Phil, and worth the wait. It will be I deal for your nature shots. You have already kept us supplied with Geppetto Towers

wild life visitors. You should get some pearlers with that baby.

Ron. :)

Managed to have a look around with the new scope last night and

was pleased with it's performance.

That focuser is a beauty.

Pity the sky was so light even at midnight but took a quick shot in the

rough direction of M13 with the D40 at prime focus.

Could only go up to about 40 seconds because the light was washing stuff out.

Anyway, nice tight stars so some fun to come I think :) 8)

Wiped all the fingerprints off that sexy black paint :)

13petz.jpg

have you noticed much false colour in your images

Gordon

Yes it has, not as much as my ST102 but it's there if that's important to anybody.

When I was reading up on it, that and a bit of coma round the edges was the only

downside to it.

To be honest, I'm very impressed so far and bearing in mind the price is not much

more than a decent focuser, I consider it a bargain little workhorse.

Thanks Phil

When I get around to buying one of these little 66's (or 80's) i'm unsure about the SD or Petzval version. The SD verson has field curvature but no false colour, whereas the Petzval version has a flat field but some colour (The FD version has neither but it's damn expensive!)

I think the petzval version gives more "bang for your buck" but i've been advised to go for the SD version for photography. To be honest false colour doesn't bother me too much and if it's better corrected than the ST102 i doubt i'll notice it much.

I look forward to more of your photos with "black beauty!"

Well I've bitten the bullet and just bought Robs WO 66 from him. Can't wait to have a play with it. I think it may get most of it's use at the local RSPB sanctuary but once I've worked out what to mount it on I will probably give the night sky a good go. Any suggestions?

Archived