Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good spots in E. Yorks?

Jackson

Hi all,

Have recently got back into the hobby after a 15 year absence and have bought a Sky-watcher 1145p to start me off with upgraded Celestron Omni Barlow and a set of Meade EPs.

I live in the centre of Hull so light-pollution is a major issue. I'm looking for somewhere quiet to go within 45mins drive or so. We went up north of Pickering the other day and onto the moors, but the 3hr round trip was a bit excessive.

So yeah, if anyone knows of any decent and quiet areas that would be fantastic :)

Many Thanks.

Just got back in from a night stargazing :icon_salut:

Went out to Tophill Low nature reserve in between Beverley and Driffield. Only saw 1 other car and there was relatively low light pollution (compared to Hull :evil: ) and we were able to see Jupiter and 3 of its moons, the Orion nebula and lots of other things.

All in all, a fantastic night and will be heading back to this spot.

the north lincs astro group meet at farings nature resurve just the other side of the bridge if you click the link in my sig their is a map on our website the we hav good views to the south and west east is a little bit obstructed but you dont get any lp from hull or the bridge and not that far away from you

• 1 month later...

Beverley East Riding Astronomers (ERA) meet up on Monday next, 26th I think.

Not been before but shall pop in to the meeting and post up on here.

They certainly feel friendly via email. :-)

I'll let you know!

I went to the meeting of the ERA, on Monday last good clear skies too.

The meeting place took a bit of finding but the venue is worth it.

They've found a nice courtyard in a quiet part of town ( yes, town!), that has good dark aspects. Good parking too, although I was on a motorbike.

A very friendly welcome, especially Tony who was my point of contact via email.

A nice cross section of scopes from binos ( huge!) to some nice Maks and Newts.

Coffee was available and also a raffle to raise funds to pay for the nights rent.

Good points.

Friendly, knowlegeable, coffee, dark.

Bad points.

Someone dropped a large EP on the concrete, and I cant get the sound of its demise out of my head!

Cherry on the cake? I won the raffle, and got a very nice book.

I'll be going again!!

Hi Im Dave A.

I Live In Hull and have been an astronomer for 25 or so years.

I have joined recently York AS and they are an amazing bunch of chaps - well worth a visit !!

I have two good friends up in Scarborough and we have found one or two good sites around the Scarborough/Snainton area.

If fancy getting in touch for a nights observing then drop me a line.:D

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the area around Raywell, Little Weighton & Skidby is good. Also around the Newport\Gilberdyke & Broomfleet areas has some good spots. I live in West Hull but the LP from my home isn't that bad in my opinion, but darker skies are only 20 minutes away.

Archived