Back to square one....well.....maybe?!

OK, so after weeks of deciding as to what astro kit to finally buy I've now come up with something that I perhaps should of thought of a lot sooner. Although I had the budget set aside for an EQ-6 with scope, I have now started to wonder if I am trying to run before I can walk. There is something about learning the sky that I think I may miss out on should I just go ahead and buy the all singing all dancing kit. So, I have (almost) decided to start at the beginning - something I'm not exactly renowned for - and go for a scope and mount that makes me learn.

The only trouble is I have no idea what to go for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! I definitely want something that will last me a while and I'm not allergic to the idea of collimation etc.

On the basis of your above post i would suggest getting a 200mm dob, spend a while learning the night sky, you would have the option of mounting the dob tube on an EQ6 at a later date, or get a good resale on the dob

Hi Steve,

If imaging is very important to you I would recommend the EQ-6 straight off and perhaps a small refractor like a fast ED80, as that for me is about as easy as it gets for imaging, then you have room to push on to trickier scopes to handle and maybe longer focal lengths in time.

If you are not in a rush to do the imaging, it's just me but I'd recommend getting a dob, take your time to find things, and enjoy a really low hassle telescope. I have a flex tube dob that I love but in some ways I wish I had a solid tube dob as those really are plonk it outside to cool down, not much else to do.

There's a nice video here (though the 12 inch looks scarily big!!):

When you are ready to move onto imaging you could then look at the all singing all dancing fancy EQ6 setup (maybe funds have recovered a bit by then?), start off with the small refractor that is easier for imaging (but very limited for general observing because of the small aperture).

You can then use the dob if you like while your imaging setup is doing its stuff (once you've got it down to a fine art!).

I think a dual setup like this is really nice for best of both worlds but that's just me.

If you want to do both imaging and visual with the same scope then of course you can do that too, maybe with an SCT plus reducer, or a reflector.

Hope throwing a few ideas around helps.

Luke

200P Dob, fantastic scope. Big enough to see fun stuff, small enough to transport, easy on eyepieces. Enough light for DSO's and enough focal length for the moon and planets. Add a Cheshire, Rigel QuickFinder or Telrad, a right angle finder and Pocket Sky Alas. Maybe an ironing stool or a couple of milk crates to sit on.

What more could you want?

Would there be method in getting a (for example) HEQ5 mount with a more basic refractor than a ED80, say an evostar 90/102/120?

That way I have a good base (the mount) to build from if I went for astroimaging (and a reflector for economical viewing of DSO's) and the refractor could serve as a guidescope as well as giving flexibility in terms of viewing.

Out of curiosity, how would you rate the HEQ5 for portability? Is this something that could be slung in a car and setup or that impractical?

I usually observe about 20 miles away & I always use my HEQ5. That means I have to stick it in my van each & every time.

It is a heavy mount but not so much that it is a problem to set up or take down myself every time I'm out. Also, once I had learned how to polar align the mount, I can be up & running in 20mins now. So I'd definitely say it was portable enough.

Jeff

Why not get a 200P on an EQ-5. Best of both worlds: great for visual and imaging!

This is the other route I'm thinking of. I'm holding off any purchases until I've got a better idea and hopefully seen some scopes in action at the Aberdeen astronomical society meetings.

I've seen some of the pictures by forum members here using the 200p pn an eq5 and they are fantastic.

Really wanting to see some more scopes in the flesh. They look small right up until you see someone besides them.

Ratlet, Don't you mean HEQ5 ? the EQ5 is very different from HEQ5, just so you don't get that wrong, you where talking about HEQ5 before, as far as I understand the EQ5 isn't that good when it comes to imaging, but the HEQ5 is pretty ok at least, with that said I am pretty sure people can get great images with an EQ5 also.

(When it comes to the quality difference between EQ5 and HEQ5 I am going by what I have read, I have never used either of them, so don't take my word for it)

For imaging, the 200P/EQ5 is equivalent to the 150P/EQ3-2 except for the longer focal length. (which actually is a disadvantage for unguided imaging). For visual, bigger is better. This is not the case for imaging, where smaller scopes are normally the better option.

The HEQ5 is big step up in stability and accuracy from the EQ5.

Ratlet, Don't you mean HEQ5 ? the EQ5 is very different from HEQ5, just so you don't get that wrong, you where talking about HEQ5 before, as far as I understand the EQ5 isn't that good when it comes to imaging, but the HEQ5 is pretty ok at least, with that said I am pretty sure people can get great images with an EQ5 also.

(When it comes to the quality difference between EQ5 and HEQ5 I am going by what I have read, I have never used either of them, so don't take my word for it)

I've seen some good pictures using a EQ5 and a 200P:

Star Gazing

I think in terms of quality I'd be happy with this, but I think that quatermass (forum member who runs that blog) says that the mount is at the limit of what it'll do so it is likely that to get much mroe out of it (if you were looking to get even more into it) would need a mount upgrade.

It's still an option, but I'd rather take a bit longer with saving and get the HEQ5.

Archived