Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WinJUPOS tutorial notice...

Kokatha man

Hi all - just letting folks know that I will be putting a tute in the appropriate section of SGL in the next week or 2 for using WinJUPOS, a powerfull software tool for derotating images etc so that you can stack multiple captures of any planet and thus break the bounds of the classic "3 mins max for Jupiter" - "6 mins max for Saturn" etc rules.

I put out offers over on CN for folks who want to test it and give me feedback...but I won't be doing it here on SGL for a couple of reasons (1) I've more than enough emails to cope with from people asking for it there - well, almost....!:) (2) but more importantly, it's easier here on SGL to post a tute which is what I'll do with it once I finish the "final cut" in about a week's time..!

It is a full "how-to" with step-by-step screenshots showing every processing action.....WinJUPOS is a bit of a challenge to get one's head around and this guide is meant for everyone, regardless of their familiarity or otherwise.....but it isn't really suitable for beginner imagers - that said, once a reasonable degree of proficiency is attained, this program offers a lot of potential!:)

Just for those interested in this sort of thing, here's what a WinJUPOS processing of one of my Saturn's from last year on 28th March local time can achieve.....

post-16205-133877722449_thumb.jpg

I take it you get less integration on the edges of the planet?

.....not really noticing very much difference there between these and "classic" 6 minute rgb captures tbh: it's one of those "automatic" questions everyone poses, but in practise it is almost indistinguishable.....and pales into insignificance alongside the enormous boost possible over the rest of the disk - I think this image has 18000 frames.:)

Sounds like a whole new lease of life on planetary imaging. I look forward to the tutorial and us all posting much superior pictures following some adventures in Winjupos - which I'm still getting my head around some aspects of myself.

Archived