Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finding Jupiter

I went outside tonight to a local dark spot, with the weather being quite clear. It was a little breezy which made it hard to get clear images on things.

Anyway, high in the sky to the south was a bright object - I thought this was Jupiter but I'm not sure sure. I think Jupiter should have been a little lower and further round to the west. But when I searched where I thought Jupiter should roughly be there was nothing that caught my eye.

So what was I looking at high in the sky? And where was Jupiter. I've never been to this place before so my bearings could be off - perhaps time to invest in a compass?!

I use some software that came with my scope, which is real handy - but I was about 5 miles from home so had nothing but my scope. I've had a look on the software since getting back but I'm still none the wiser - I think I really had my bearings out of tilt.

There was so much in the sky tonight that I wanted to look at, but it was so hard with the slight breeze.

Thanks for recommending that software - I've just installed it, checked it, turned the clock back to 8pm. I'm still a bit confused with which direction I must have been facing but while I was out, what I thought to be 3 of Jupiters moons were just above Jupiter to the top left - on the software the moons are in roughly the same place too so it must have been Jupiter I was looking at.

I've just had a good look at Jupiter for an hour or so, cracking views tonight.

Easiest ways to explain it in laymans terms, is 1) it is the brightest thing in the sky after 1930 when Venus drops below, 2) find Orion and look to the right.

I have lost Jupiter now, it has gone behind some buildings, but it is still the brightest object in the sky at the moment.

I've just had a good look at Jupiter for an hour or so, cracking views tonight.

Easiest ways to explain it in laymans terms, is 1) it is the brightest thing in the sky after 1930 when Venus drops below, 2) find Orion and look to the right.

I have lost Jupiter now, it has gone behind some buildings, but it is still the brightest object in the sky at the moment.

Ha, when I got my scope out I looked at what I thought to be Venus first, sitting low in the sky at about 19:15. I could have swore I was facing south but obviously not. Then I moved the scope to look at Jupiter, and when I came back venus had gone so it's now obvious I had my bearings completely wrong (yet still identified what I was looking at!)

How do you guys deal with wind and such when outside?

depends how strong the wind is. We do a bit of observing from time to time on the seafront due to the nice dark skies looking out to sea. The wind can whip up a bit down there at times. A little wind is ok but can make what your looking at a bit jumpy obviously worsening the higher you push the magnification. The higher the wind the lower magnification I will stick too. Wind only becomes a real pain when im imaging a planet or the moon

I think perhaps my mount/tripod is the cheapest around also so this probably won't help with stability. Oh well, I'm meeting some guys on Saturday from a local club so I'm sure I'll pick up tips and advice (and probably a long list of things to buy! Why, oh why, am I getting married this year - it's ruining my disposable income!)

Archived