2 questions solar film and scope?

Hi All,

Got a couple of questions

I have purchased some of the baader solar film from FLO but am getting different views on how to use it, it says on the sleeve for the film to make a filter the size of the aperture of the scope yet certain people are saying to just make a filter to cover the smaller removeable cap from the larger scope cap. My scope is a 6" skywatcher and it has a removeable cap of about 2"

2. Ive been thinking about upgrading my scope and mount, i am split between a skywatcher 10" 1200mmfl newt on a neq6 pro or a 12" 1000mmfl on an neq6 pro, very similar but the 12" will give me more light gathering but the 10" is a better focal length and less bulky, so what would you do given the options.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kev.

The smaller aperure is big enough for viewing the sun so people will say put the main cover on, remove the smaller plate and cover that with solar film. Saves film.

As you have to cut it up it is probably just as easy to make a filter for the whole aperture - assumes that the sheet of film is physically big enough.

Really only you can answer the second one, it is your scope, your money and you will be using it. Which one do you want? You know all the differences.

On the scope choice, do try and see these scopes before making a decision. A 10" or 12" scope on an NE6 mount is a massive affair and in another league in terms of bulk, weight etc than your current scope. The views are great too of course but a scope has to be manageable if it's going to get the use it deserves.

You have a skywatcher 150mm so a sheet of film will just make a full aparture filter. By the time you have made a holder you may find that the actual aparture is less than 150mm but this will not matter. Make sure you have a way of ensuring that the filter cannot blow off on a windy day (or at any other time!). And don't forget to REMOVE any finder scope etc.

If i remember correctly, you get 2 sheets of the film in each package. If this is the case make one of both sizes that you need.

Not too sure though. Maybe it was just my buddy in the astro shop that gave me two sheets in the same pack.

Needless to say that i am so useless at DIY that it took me two sheets to make one filter for a 90mm scope. The whole thing fell apart about a year later.

You normally only get one sheet.

I use a 150P for white light viewing and I made a 70mm offaxis filter rather than full aperture. The views are very good and making a smaller filter meant I had enough film to make two front end filters for the 150P, a smaller one for the finderscope, two for a pair of bino's and a pair of cardboard 'eclips' glasses.

I am so glad I made 2 of the big filters, because I screwed the first one up and damaged the filter.

rikmcrae-albums-equipment-picture15331-150p-white-light.jpg

You only get the one sheet these days! But you do get a sheet of clear plastic protection sheet - don't forget to remove it first as it is difficult to see and even harder to get a decent hold of to remove it!!

Dont they suggest that you leave the clear plastic on while handling/cutting the film?

Then remove. It saves from getting finger prints on the film.

On the scope choice, do try and see these scopes before making a decision. A 10" or 12" scope on an NE6 mount is a massive affair and in another league in terms of bulk, weight etc than your current scope. The views are great too of course but a scope has to be manageable if it's going to get the use it deserves.

and there is some weight there if its not got its own permanent shed

here's mine - I made a full aperture one and it works really well http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/169243-diy-solar-filter.html#post2087796

Looks GOOD.

I think maybe it is easier to make one for a larger aperture scope rather then a smaller one, as the smaller you make thing the fiddlier things become?

IF i ever decide to have another i think i will just buy a ready made one. Not sure though if to buy one for my 200mm scope or my 70mm scope.

thoughts?

Thanks for the replies people, I think that there may be just enough to make one of each from 1 sheet if i position it carefully enough, Im presuming I could make the filter a good 1.5 inch smaller dia than the whole aperture but still have it central so it wont be off axis, this will give me a 4.5inch dia filter and also enough to make a smaller one for the cap.

As for the scopes im just fishing at the moment as I may be in the market in about 10 months or so.

Thanks,

Kev.

The offaxis filter gives you more light and resolution than just using the small hole in the cap and you don't get the obstruction of the secondary mirror. It gives you a 75mm f/10 apochromatic whitelight scope for less than £20 (assuming you already have the 150P).

It is the same principle as Moonshane's aperture mask for planetary views with his 16", if you have followed that thread...only for the sun :)

Archived