Any Advice Welcome

Hello Everyone,

I currently have a Jessops TA1100-102 Reflector Telescope.

My Wife bought it for me as a Christmas Present and am (overall) happy with the scope. Even though I am an amateur, the limitations of the scope become abundantly clear.

From my understanding, a reflector scope is better designed for deep space viewing. However as I am in a well lit area, the shortfalls of the scope are exposed.

I decided that I was going to purchase a new telescope from an established manufacturer.

Luckily, my Wife is convinced that I am really into astronomy, and has given me the "go ahead". :)

We visited our local store to get some advice (as well as a visual on what the telescopes look like). I was looking for a good general purpose telescope that would be suitable for well lit areas.

The Salesman (whom I must thank for being patient and very polite) pointed me towards the Nexstar 4SE. I really liked the look of it and it seemed nice & portable.

So really my question(s) to you guys is:

1. Is the aforementioned telescope good for well lit areas?

2. Is the telescope good for planetary viewing (e.g. good view of saturn plus its rings)?

Also, if any Users have any feedback to the Nexstar 4SE I would be very grateful.

Thanks for reading,

Planets are easy even in light polluted areas because they are bright.

Where LP does come into play is when you are trying to locate DSOs (galaxies etc) as they are much dimmer and are easily washed out by light.

LP also reduces greatly the number of stars you can see for navigation (star hopping).

I don't know too much about the Nexstar but it is a goto - it will find objects automatically once you have aligned it with a couple of bright stars. This will negate one problem at least.

I'm sure it won't be long before someone with experience of this scope will be along with some advice though.

Happy hunting!

A reflector and refractor of the same size will perform the same on DSO's. So a reflector is not in itself better for DSO's.

You can simply produce a reflector of say 10" for a lot less then a 10" refractor and as it is the objective area that is important for DSO's. Owing to the cost reflectors are purchased and used for DSO's. For whatever reason this has managed to get misinterpreted as Reflectors are best for DSO's. Just looking tonight through 12" and 8" refractors at DSO's, views were very good, better then the 8" reflector that was there. Kind of disproves that idea.

The 4SE is a nice scope, the disadvantage is that you will have to set it up to get it to work. The computer in it is small, much less then a basic mobile phone. So do not expect that you can stand it on a bit of ground and it will magically locate the wonders of the universe.

You have to supply several bits of data, they have to be correct - sounds obvious but people do not seem to realise it when actually doing it. Mistakes can be made even at when care is taken.

The scope itself is good with the proviso that the field of view is small - this is down to the design. The narrow view can make the alignment a pain in the rear.

Get a mains supply for it, batteries may last 2 hours, but no more. Rechargeables are no good, voltage is too low.

Catch is that unless you get it and try it then you will not know if the operation is sensible to you. I have Meades and their alignment to me makes sense. Although I would like the source code to add another option.

For alignment buy a 32 or 40mm cheap plossl.

I can't talk from experience of the 4SE, but I'd predict that while it'll be a more pleasant 'scope to use, it's not going to offer you much better views than your existing 'scope - better, but not much better. A SkyWatcher SkyMax 127 or NexStar 127 SLT would improve things more for about the same price, if you want a Cassegrain Goto 'scope.

If you want to forego the guided mount and get a 'scope that can really open the skies, a 200P Dobsonian is hard to beat, and you'd have change from your budget for EPs and other accessories.

Not sure where you are located - but you can't beat having a look and having a go. if there is a local astronomical society close by you would have the chance to see through some different telescopes in action and perhaps make a more informed choice and get some advice when they have observing nights.

andrew

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Yeah I can appreciate that the initial setup prior to use of a goto is essential, which would make sense.

Having said that, although the goto is a very handy feature (as once setup it makes it alot easier for anyone I have with me to use) it isn't compulsory. The disadvantage of having a goto system whilst I am still learning the skies, is that I may develop a dependence on it.

Funnily enough, the shop that I visited do meetings. Unfortunately, I missed a meeting at a school like 5 minutes walk away from my house that they had arranged last night. I have signed myself up to their mailing list so hopefully I can catch a local 1 soon.

The concept of a 200P Dobsonian is an interesting idea. I have made the preparations to spend approximately £4-500 on the setup so any advice on what Dobsonian would be worth looking into further would be most appreciated.

Portability is something that I need to think about though. I can account for something larger, but I just don't have the space for a hulking behemoth that requires a team of people to move (1-2 people is realistic).

How bad is your light pollution? Are you in a city? The 4se is a similar aperture to what you already have so I personally don't think it will give you much better views than you already have, I'm not sure which one has the more stable mount.

Generally I would recommend a 200P dobsonian, which has about 4 times the light gathering power of the 4SE and potentially will give greater resolution on planets with its bigger aperture and in okay skies to dark skies will let you see many more deep sky objects than a four inch telescope.

Well I live in Kingston-upon-Thames... It's pretty built up with street lights, etc everywhere.

Perhaps I should think about looking at the Skyliner 200p Dobsonian.

It doesn't seem too cumbersome...

Thanks again for all the feedback. :)

For a beginner the 200p might be the only telescope you ever need. However, portability is a huge factor. If you don't use it much because of the effort then its not money well spent. The 4se has limitations but it will get you well out there into space albeit with a narrower view of the cosmos. But for the extra the 6se is well worth it. The extra 2" diameter cannot be overstated. It makes everything more brighter and you'll see a lot more. The decision of portability over convenience comes at a price though. The 6se will set you back 2.5 times the cost of the Dobsonian. And depending upon your budget may be a bit too extreme. Good luck.

Hi

The way I see it is this: your main problem living in Kingston upon Thames is horrendous LP. I know I'm just up the rd in Sutton.

You either try and observe from your back yard anyway, or you get the hell outa dodge to use your scope.

If you're gonna front it out in your yard, trying to star hop with a manual Dob is going to be very hard indeed. The lack of guide stars could see it all ending in disappointment.

At least with a Goto you may get to observe something, although with LP it won't be great if I'm honest.

If, on the other hand your going to get out from under the city lights then the only stopping you is what size you can manage to do this with.

I never observe from home because of the LP there, it's simply terrible. I always take my scopes out of town to observe.

It may sound like a lot of faff, but believe me it's worth it.

I meet up with other astronomers from the Surrey Observers when I observe. We meet most clear nights. You can find us on the main index page. If you wish to come along you are more than welcome.

Regards Steve

The 200P (dob or eq) is a time tested and proven scope. In my experience it's the most popular size used in amateur astronomy. The dobsonian version is sturdy and a fair bit cheaper than an equatorial, and is an ideal starter telescope. But as stated above, if you live in a light polluted city, "goto" often means you have to go to a darker area to use it effectivly lol.

Being a "mid range" aperture, the equatorial version means a good sturdy mount is required. EQ5/CG5 mounts will take the weight for observing, but really it's more secure on the heavy duty version HEQ5 mount which will dampen vibrations quicker. Ideally the NEQ6 is a better option if you're doing photography. But as allways - budget is a big factor. :)

Thanks everyone.

With regards to the Surrey Observers, do you have a fixed location to meet up, or do your locations vary?

I have to admit, visiting seems a little daunting, very much like going to a party where you no barely anyone. I have no doubts everything will be fine... It's just getting that 1st visit under my belt. :)

After taking the advice into consideration, I'm starting to lean towards a Dobsonian.

The choice I'm left with now, is either getting the 200p or the 250px (Sky-Watcher Skyliner).

Personally, I'm thinking that the 250px is the better option, as it still falls within my original budget, and the difference in portability appears to be negligable.

But the question is, is the 250px worth the extra money compared to the 200p?

Sorry about being a bother. :S

Celestron Omni XLT 120£395.00 How about something like this.Iv got a 102mm refractor & i think its great scope. A dob

is a big lump of a scope.You realy need some sort of control with the mount.This refractor is portable.With light pollution,

a refractor is the scope to go for.You have got no getting the mirrors all lined up as well.With a dob you will have.If you do

go for a Dob,go for the 200mm which is enclosed.Best of luck.

Steve:icon_scratch:

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Hampton Wick, just on the other side of the river :icon_salut:. Go and check out Bushy park, you'll get a LOT less close light polution (ie: no street lights, no houses nearby etc...). It's pretty dark in the park.

Archived