Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn - DMK and DBK side by side

frewi808

I feel like Darryl now, did the same processing on both images taken with the DMK and DBK, it's up to you guys who wings here.

Again RGB filter capturing and processing is recently new to me, but I can see who wins, DBK color has much less processing involved, but when seeing is king.....

Let me know what you guys think

Freddy

post-20344-133877720665_thumb.jpg

Nice images :) I wonder how a color camera would improve with a dispersion corrector - expecially in locations where Saturn is lower on the sky. With the DMK I just shoot RGB quickly, and then I put more attention to one or two luminance channels (L and Yellow or Yellow and Red longpass).

Tried to pull out more of the two images, The DMK is indeed sharper but does not

show the crepe ring like in the DBK (??)

Maybe have to work on the capturing & processing settings more. Lot to learn in

so little time left..

I also post the individual images..hope they are the same size and orientation

now.

Again, this is not a scientific experiment, but I guess the DMK mono give a more

crisp result. It's very hard to process them both the same, the DMK has a much

more complex and time consuming processing then the DBK color camera. But the

result is much better in MHO.

Just let me know what you think or where I went wrong..

Suggestions welcome...(or PM me)

post-20344-133877721593_thumb.jpg

post-20344-133877721598_thumb.jpg

post-20344-133877721604_thumb.jpg

This is an interesting situation. The picture quality seems clearly better for the DMK (the cleaner background is a nice bonus) but the DBK version shows the inner ring set whereas the DMK one does not.

Both outstanding work!

The new chips most certainly bring the two cameras closer together im quite surprised infact how well the DBK has done here. One does have to be very careful about making assumptions on these kind of tests though. there are so many variables, Though i suppose if the seeing remained equal, the processing was identical sharpening ect. Then more can be taken from the comparison. I think it clearly shows the day of the single colour shot camera has arrived. Infact wish i had one as a second camera. Two things i would still need a mono for The moon and venus. Great shots both of them. The crepe being more visable is normally a brightness or gamma variation. Not sure what it is here Freddy ?

Looking again there really does appear to be a gamma difference between the two crepe jumping out on the DBK but also slightly less contrasty or more washed out over the rest of the planet, all hallmarks of higher gamma on the DBK though one could get similar results increasing contrast on the DMK shot. if you had raised gamma slightly on the DMK the crepe would be just as visable, and so would the slightly more washed out appearance of the DBK, try it Freddy see if i am right. Gamma increases do well on the crepe, at the expense of contrast. I mentioned this to John H some time back who did hes own experiments and confirmed all this. Very interesting. me wants a new 618 DBK

Hi Neil,

and thanks, I guess it's in the processing, and the gamma is a great part of it, but when I apply gamma the DMK image gets a burnout in the center, that's why I keep it that way and the crepe ring can barely be seen, with the DBK image I did not had any problem getting it right, but Neil, I'm actually a color camera guys, so my processig is mostly in that way and still have to work on my RGB processing more, I just started with Mono so it might take some time to get that right.

Whatever the differences, your on a roll, with some really superb work of late, both mars and saturn inspiring me to try more, even in low alt, and freezing weather with poor seeing. Keep them coming Freddy saturn will get even smoother as it gets brighter. Mars will be amazing for you when it reaches Full size. Even though its a small opposition

Great shots

amazing detail in both, as Neil said a lot of parameter can change the result of this comparison. however if I need to judge just by this the DBK shows more details as far as I can tell. I guess more of these comparisons will change the answer :-)

in any case Freddy - Bravo!

Archived