Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OIII Filter Recommendation Please

Hello All,

Can anyone please recount their experiences with OIII filters around the €50-€70 (£50ish) mark that work....

I have heard good things about the Castell OIII but that seems to be rarer than hens teeth.

Any of you knowledgable folks out there use 'economy' filters or do I have to dig deep....sigh..

Thanks

Bart

That's interesting :) I'm wondering if that would be suitable to use with a modified DSLR (Canon 1100D) to improve nebulae for AP. Before I go the whole hog and get a mono CCD astro camera.

Hi Bart i have the Skywatcher 2" OIII filter and it performs well in my Dob,i have used the Baader OIII but as John said i found it to be quite severe and i think you would need quite a large aperture telescope to get the best out of it.I hope this helps

thank you all for your comments.

Yes Dobby I have the SW UHC but I'm terrible, I don't want to miss/rule out anything by not having an aid !!

I realise I don't NEED this, but seeing as I cant do any actual observing due to clouds, im doing the next best thing, amassing gear !

Bart

I bought the Skywatcher 2" Olll last year to aid with the Veil Nebula and it worked superbly with the 8" dob. Although i can see it unaided from home it really jumps out with the Olll. I haven't anything to compare it to but based on my experience with it i would recommend it.

Thanks again all.

Hey Damo , got much chance to use the 12" ? If so, are you happy ? Did you go for the deluxe , ... Nice !

Bart

We've had few clear nights down here recently and when we can see the sky, there's been thin high cloud, no good for those faint galaxies, which that 12" should excel at.

Still waiting on first light Barry. It arrived Monday but a bout of the old annual winter vomiting bug put the clampers on things for a few days. Now i'm better there's a hurricane blowing!! I went with the deluxe version and really impressed with it. http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/171724-when-8-became-my-grab-n-go.html

I went for an OIII from Astronomica a few years back and although they had them in stock, they recommended a UHC, as being less limiting with potential targets. The UHC performs well and I think I was given sound advice. The veil jumps out at you.

I have both Baader OIII and UHC in 1.25 sizes and a Baader OIII 2" coming although it seems I have not looked into this enough.

You can usually get away with just using the 2" size filters as they can serve for both 2" and 1.25" eyepieces if you attach the filter to the barrel of your diagonal.

You can usually get away with just using the 2" size filters as they can serve for both 2" and 1.25" eyepieces if you attach the filter to the barrel of your diagonal.

That's handy, guess I have a couple not needed now, thanks for the reminder John.

Archived