new member.

hi all, steve from braintree in essex joined the club just before christmas was useing a jessops TA 800-80 telescope had a probs with that so now have a skywatcher 150 x1200 telescope still learning with that seen the moon very well but now am trying to find other planets :) think i need to get a chart to look at:o to find em, look forwards to talking to you all.

Welcome to the forum Steve,

There are two planets that are easy to find at the moment - Venus can be seen just as twilight is turning into night. Just look to the south west after the sun goes down and it's one of the two bright objects you'll see. If you look back from Venus at the same time, you'll see another bright "star" which is actually Jupiter.

One thing that can help is a free program called Stellarium - its free and will help you find things in the sky. Other than that keep asking questions

as a new member i would be greatful for any help when i set up my telescope i can see the moon but trying to find other planets is some what a task am i doing something wrong :) and what do i need to do with the sky watcher telescope it cames with a 25mm eyepiece and a 1.2 mm eyepiece any help please. steve.:)

Hi. Steve, and welcome to SGL Mate.

I think you made a mistake with the size of the second eyepiece. Perhaps it is a 10mm or 12mm, not 1.2mm.

What size and model of scope did you buy. and what kind of mount is it on, and we can take it from there.

Don['t worry, a new telescope always baffles anyone who has never used one before. You'll soon learn.:icon_salut:

Ron.

Welcome to SGL Steve. Looks like, as with us, the Jessops scope showed you enough to get you hooked on this hobby! What mount is your new Skywatcher 150 on? Mars and Saturn are currently up in the early hours of the morning around the constellation of Virgo.

Archived