Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

replacing The SynScan Hand Control with a PC?

bumblebee

Hi there, I have a question. Can you replace the "synscan" hand control from skywatcher mounts, with a normal PC that has a program like Stellarium installed on it and then control the mount's dual axis motor drive with it? I'm asking that because "synscan" hand control remote costs over 300-350$ and a PC and a program installed i already have and it costs me nothing.

My english is bad:)

Yes, google EQMOD. There's a ton of information on the web site how to do it. It can be a bit confusing at first but all the info you need should be there.

Have a read and if you have any particular queries then I suggest you direct them in the equipment help section on SGL. There's a ton of people who use EQMOD and ASCOM and should be able to help.

Hi Bumblebee, welcome to SGL, The answer is yes you can :)

Take a look here:

EQMOD

This is the software that will do the job of the synscan hand controller, it's called EQMod, it's probably the best bit of astronomy kit you can own if you have a skywatcher mount in their list of supported mounts.

You will also need a cable from the PC to the mount, details are at the bottom of this page:

EQMOD

You can either build your own or buy premade ones , the choice is yours :)

You can start using your planetarium program to control your mount without the expense of the EQDIR module....

Just connect your Skywatcher upgrade cable between your PC and the handcontroller, fire up your program (I use Cartes du Ciel) and off you go.

If you like the result, I'm sure you'll be tempted to go the direct route....

The handset of the Synscan goto mounts can be replaced with the EQDIR module and the mount controlled from Stellarium and EQMOD. It can't be done from a basic non-goto mount with dual axis drives.

Peter

Bumblebee, the point Peter made here is important. To use EQMOD, you need to have a Goto SynScan mount, not just a dual-axis drive mount, which is what I think you have.

It would help if you could please say exactly what equipment you have, in order to get the best advice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this thread is a little old, but can any of you tell me if this solution will work with the Sky-Watcher AllView? http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-allview-mount.html

I found the mount on ebay pretty cheap, but the guy is trying to get me to pay a lot for the hand controller. I have a netbook that would work perfectly if this mount is compatible with the EQASCOM. It says on the website that it IS a GOTO mount. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I know this thread is a little old, but can any of you tell me if this solution will work with the Sky-Watcher AllView? http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-allview-mount.html

I found the mount on ebay pretty cheap, but the guy is trying to get me to pay a lot for the hand controller. I have a netbook that would work perfectly if this mount is compatible with the EQASCOM. It says on the website that it IS a GOTO mount. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

The only mounts that work with EQASCOM are the Synta Equatorial Synscan or Orion Skyview goto mounts, it doesn't work with the AZ GOTO or Allview mounts. You can, howwever, control these mounts from a laptop using Stellarium or Cartes Du Ciel http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start using the ascom platform and the ascom drivers.

• 3 months later...

Hi Louis,

I am glad our Bluetooth adaptor we make did the job for your Skywatcher Allview mount and you now can use your mount to do panorama's without having to use your hand controller using PapyWizard on the pc or PanoramaApp on you android tablet.

Enjoy and email some panoramas pic when you get the chance or post a few up on iceinspace .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived