Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 1333 : A real struggle in my location

Catanonia

I do not have clear skies as I live next to the M6 motorway and a small town to the north of me. To put it into perspective, I can just about see 3 or 4 stars in the Pegasus Square on a good night and have only once seen the milkyway from my garden. MY FWHM never drops below 5 and I wish I had a good location.

Having seen a rare image from a member in Sweden, I just had to give this bad boy a shot with the SuperNewt. Hoping that F2.8 would grab me the dust.

So last night I gathered about 3 hours of LRGB and the processing was awful. The dust was there, but my processing skills were massively lacking. I had a think about it and decided that loads more luminance was needed and set about gathering another 3 hours tonight.

The end result was just over 6 hours of 8 mins subs LRGB unbinned at 22:9:8:8.

Processing was fun, if not hard and I even delved into creating a spearate project for the luminance and dust levels. After about 6 failed combination attempts, this is the best my skills and location can come up with.

It is an awesome part of the sky and I can see why there are not many images of it from the UK due to its faintness and our rubbish weather / light polution. Infact I don't know if it would be possible without a fast scope unless you had really good clear skies.

Details

LRGB 24:9:8:8 in 8 min unbinned subs

QHY9 Mono + QHY 2inch Filters

TS SuperNewt 200mm F2.8 corrector

TS OAG, QHY5 and NEQ6Pro mount for guiding.

PI and CS5 for processing.

Imaged cropped by about 10% for alignment and framing.

I think I am in love with this region of sky with the emmision, dark and reflecting nebulas all in one part of the sky.

I hope you enjoy my effort, I did making it.

Cat

post-16631-133877719307_thumb.jpg

Ah yes, what a glorious object! I've been working on this in Yves' 14 inch as well and it is a challenge but so beautiful. You've done a great job and the scope now seems to be delivering. Wonderful star colour.

Congratulations on this one.

Olly

Well done Cat, you've hoovered up a lot of dust and some nice colour in there as well. It doesn't matter who fast your scope is, dust is always going to be difficult in light pollution. Fast scopes grab a lot of that as well:(

Archived