Advice on bino's for a beginner

Hi all,

im a total noob.

I can pick out orion's belt, the plough & polaris, other than that, im lost!!!

Ive read some of the threads about beginners not rushing in to get a telescope & ive headed that advice. Im looking at a set of bino's & since i have no knowledge or skillset in this area - you guys are my crutch!

Im looking at:

olympus 10x50 DPS1

celestron 15x70 skymaster (im a big unit so holding them up shouldnt be a problem...if that proves to be a statement contrary to advice, i'll buy a stand!)

or from left field:

celestron astronomaster 114EQ

skywatcher skyhawk 114/1000EQ

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Cheers & hope to catch up soon

Andy

I should spend a little time with bins and learn how to navigate your way through the Constellations, you may have already been pointed in the direction of the free program Stellarium and the publication "Turn Left at Orion. During the interim period your knowledge will improve to the point that your next step in choosing a scope will be made that much easier. The 15x70 bins are good value and although It is appreciated that you are of a strong build, I think you will find that some sort of support for them will be desirable in the long run, even if its only the yard broom :D

even if its only the yard broom :D

Absolute genius, why didn't I think of that!

Hi Andy, I do like my 70mm bins but they can be a handful to keep still with your neck craned back.

I have an old camera tripod I use with a binocular mount

Well, I've got both the Olympus and Celstron bins (the latter branded as Revelation, but they're the same), I think the Olympus ones are better, they give a better image. The 15x70s really need to be mounted on a tripod or monopod. It's not a question of being big - I'm hardly small and I have big strong hands, but I still need to mount the bigger bins. It's not due to their weight, it's the higher power making every little tremor and shake magnified more. I also actually prefer the lower magnification of 10x50s for sweeping around the sky.

im not 100% sure , but the olmpus dps are bk7 prisms i believe.

a cheap tripod or as advised ,a broom upturned would be ok.

10x 50 should be a maximum for long time hand held i was told.

best to look for bk4 glass/prism. at least multicoated, but fully multicoated are best .

strathspey have a good reputation. and the 15x70 skymasters ive seen around for under £60 new.

Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciated. Ive just ordered the olympus bins; will heed the advice & get out there with stellarium & turn left at Orion.

Hopefully will be on here in a little while totally enthused!!!

Cant wait.

Cheers

Andy

nice one. most seasoned astronomers keep bin's close by as well as their scopes. the widefield views are breathtaking at times.

my son and me sometimes lie in the back yard in sleeping bags to keep warm ,and gaze with the bins.no arm ache or neckache.

happy gazing...

I have a pair of 12 x 50 Olympus bins (with BK4 prisms) and I'm very pleased with them, delivering crisp clear, sharp images.

They do benefit from being tripod mounted though to pick out the individual moons of Jupiter for instance. If hand held the moons 'dance about' with my old hands!

I have a Velbon video tripod that extends up high enough to view without getting a bad neck or back.

10 x 50's would be easier to hand hold though, but if you can try them on a tripod (or rest them on a broom!) you will benefit from clearer images.

Try them on the Pleiades star cluster or Orion's sword and you will be amazed!

Again, thanks for the advice guys.I've ordered myself the olympus 10x50's mentioned in my previous post from amazon.what are the thoughts on the scopes mentioned? Am I better off leaving them or are they a worthwhile purchase???

Cheers

Andy

Andy,

I can only speak for myself, but I'm glad I waited to purchase a scope. Spending some time with the binoculars and a planisphere/copy of TLAO allowed me to learn the shapes of the various constellations and thus be able to find things more easily later on when I did get a scope. As well as giving me more time to research what kind of scope would be suitable for me.

If you're using any kind of star map or book when out observing a red light torch will help keep your night vision intact while still being able to see (you could also try a rear bike light so long as it's not too bright).

Enjoy the bins

Tyr

Hi Andy. I've had both. The Olympus 10 x 50's are incredible. They make the stars really really sharp and not only that the increase in brightness in noticeable. I swapped the celestrons for these and glad I did.

Awesome.

I'm resisting my natural urge of rushing out & buying absolutely everything I don't need right away...

I've vowed to do this properly & not end up with all the gear & no idea!

I'm going 2 learn the constellations & use the bins until I'm fairly competent then look for a scope. I'm even considering contacting my local astronomy organisation (bolton) to assist me further...

Its been a great help already, this forum & the expertese found on it - amazing!!!

Just an update...my bino's have arrived & I'm staggered by the difference they make to the night sky.i was a little perturbed when the case & body of the bino's had coleman logo's all over it!

Ill be outside with my copy of TLAO trying to catch something during cloud breaks!

I've also decided to contact my local group (bolton) just so I set myself on the right path.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, good choice on the bins i reckon :) As for the scopes, I would say that by the time you have used the bins for a while, you will want a more powerful scope than the ones you mention. For now, get out with the bins and TLAO and/or Stellarium and you will have plenty to keep you occupied. Clear skies!

CW

Archived