Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

my first expeience of star gazing with a Skywatcher P200 Dobs

There seems to be a lot of us taking up this hobby with the scope I have or its variant cousins so I just thought I'd give my honest experience with it from a complete newbies point of view in case it helps anyone else thinking of buying a new scope and pretty much starting from scratch as I have.

First of all - the wife hasn't shouted at me due to the size of the thing - it is fairly large perhaps 4ft tall and 8 Inches accross but easily stored. Putting it together was easy - everything you need is there including the tools and setting it up could not be simpler even for a complete novice like me.

So first chance to use it and - of course its cloudy so I used the time to align the spotting scope- here was my first problem - the main scope would focus on a garage 50 metres away but a farm house half a mile away- no chance - I spent ages with different lens and focussing nothing worked so eventually semi resigned to calling FLO I gave up - then after posting on the forum John explained that the Skyliner scopes have two convertors to accomodate 1.25 and 2 Inch lenses you can use one or the other but not stack them which I had done- tried again feeling a complete idiot and focussed on the farm house and alligned first time - easy when you know.

Sunday night came and out went the scope - the base is fairly heavy but no problem really and set up simple-left it for half an hour and then went for my first view of Jupiter - got it in the spotting scope and then straight away with the 25mm supplied lens - In went a barlow I bought and then I lost sight - a quick reallignement and my first real view - wow I can now see whats possible with this scope and I want more already - then another problem - dust on the lens creating a speck in the centre of the planet - at this point I couldn't believe how quickly the planet moved out of the line of sight of the scope- back in line again and another speck of dust - in I went and complained to the wife returned and relocated the planet again - this time there was a tiny diamond of light just above it and then the penny dropped about what I was seeing - moons orbiting Jupiter- amazing - I spent most of the night just zooming back and fourth - it really is spectacular for a first time viewing.

Now the negatives - I am going to change the spotting scope and get a small adjustable stool - the Dobsonian is easy to set up and transport but its not easy on the back so you need to get yourself prepared for this. I didn't have great success with the higher magnification lens - now whether this is because of the viewing conditions (there was some street lighting and I was fairly close to my house) or the quality of the lens I'm not sure- I think I'm going to invest in some better quality lens further down the line but it certainly didn't spoil my night I just have the sneaking suspiscion it could have been better.

The last thing I needed to remember was to get myself organised before I went out - hunting around in the near dark for books and lens caps could have been a lot less frustrating had I planned ahead - the same is true of knowing what to look at in the sky itself - I did spend quite some time with my Bins aswel as the scope but had I done this well before (like months) I would not have wasted nearly as much time star hopping and probably gotten more out of the evening.

Never the less - first lessons learnt and I'm on my way - really enjoyed myself and looking forward to meeting some of the guys in the S Wales group when they go out later this year- and the scope- good choice so far if only it would stop moaning about its useless owner :D

Nice one Steve! I particularly enjoyed your description of the specks of dust :D

I got on better with the supplied 10mm eyepiece (I have the same scope as you) but it's a bit too fussy about eye position/distance. The 12mm flat field I got from SkysTheLimit is much better, and with a 2x barlow bringing it to 6mm, Jupiter is amazing... if you have £41 to spare :)

I have my eye on the observers chair from FLO but it's quite expensive. Maybe I'l ask for it for my birthday but that's not until May!

Paul.

I'll have to check the chair out myself Paul - I've already blown my initial budget but I'm thinking two decent lens- £50 to £100 each?Telrad £40? and now the chair £50 to £100? - I'm not gonna get that lot past SWMBO for a while :D

Interesting read, I've had similar experience with my 150 Dob, although I've found the 10mm EP very good despite the poor reports that I've read. I popped into FLO today to pick up something with a bit higher magnification. I didnt like the idea of a Barlow as I thought it would highlight the flaws in the 10mm. They sent me out with a 6mm Celestron Plossl to try at Norman Lockyer Observatory and refused to take payment. If I liked it "find Martin and pay for it, if not give it back to him". What service, I'm not known by the shop or local.

Unfortunately the EP didn't work out so its been returned. A few experienced astronomers took a look through the 10mm and confirmed my feelings - its not a bad eyepiece at all, maybe I will try a barlow while I save for Baader Hyperions.

I also managed to get great views of Andromeda Galaxy and Orion Nebula, loving this scope and my attempts at collimation appear to be spot on.....phew. If you've not collimated yours yet, DO IT. I did mine by refering to Astro BAby's guide and putting a small hole in the focuser dust cap. A bit of black tape over the hole when done and I have both a collimating tool and a dust cap.

Andy

I haven't colimated it yet Andy - didn't think I'd need to straight from the factory - but perhaps I will jsut to be sure - I did order a Cheshire Colimator but when it came from FLO it was in three seperate bits- emailed FLO and Martin said he'd put a new one in the post today - fair play - as long as you get decent service you'l lkeep going back which I intend to do.

Great report Steve :D

It's a learning curve alright but it sounds like you are already traveling fast along it.

Collimation on the 200P dobsonians is not difficult at all really and I found the one I had a while back retained it's collimation well.

If you don't find sitting to your liking it is possible to raise the height of the eyepiece by making a simple, beefy, 3 legged table type affair.

My thinking was that collimation was more likely to be out after being shipped from China than the careful handling it is now treated to. It was out, not by much, but enough to be noticeable.

It was confirmed by some experienced astronomers that the collimation is now spot on. Not bad for a first attempt and "make do" collimation tool.

One thing to watch is that you dont screw the primary adjusters in too far, the mirror needs to be sat against the squishy pads that support it, move it too far in and it "floats" above the pads and is more susceptable to not holding position as you lock it up or move it around.

I got my first view of Jupiter last week on my 250 on an eq mount but I have to agree with you first time even with my 28mm stock ep I was blown away around it I could see 4 brilliant pin pricks of light (the moons) it's pretty spectacular but very bright. I didn't need to colimate my scope either when it arrived it was bang on, I have centred the polar scope but which was easy enough. But I have to agree with you things move pretty fast when you change eps I wasn't expecting them to move so quickly.

I haven't colimated it yet Andy - didn't think I'd need to straight from the factory

I did have to collimate mine. The secondary was a bit off (the reflection of it was very oval) and then the primary was quite a bit off. I'm quite pleased with myself now though as I did the "defocus on a bright star" test at the weekend and got nice concentric circles.

I think, like everyone says, that once you've collimated for the first time, you know what to expect and it'll take seconds to recheck it, and just a few minutes to adjust if necessary after that.

Would be glad to see you at a SWales meet Steve, will give you a chance to see a few mods that can be done to help with finding DSO,s, I put feet on mine and a setting circle. total cost about £5. Look forward to seeing you

Read with interest, cheers for the report Steve.

I have one winging it's way to me as we speak, from FLO, so I now know what to expect.

I have an old draughtsmans adjustable swivel chair in the shed which I'm hoping is going to be just the job.

Would be glad to see you at a SWales meet Steve, will give you a chance to see a few mods that can be done to help with finding DSO,s, I put feet on mine and a setting circle. total cost about £5. Look forward to seeing you

Thanks Pat - I see the next meet was in Blaenavon and the one after that which I was hoping to attend was in the Brecon National Park Visitor centre which I know - not sure if its been cancelled now or not due to the rugby - but I'll definitely be there shortly - at least it gives me a little more time to swot up and not look like such a complete Newb :D

Archived