Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A pair of multi-purpose bino's for life

Earl

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends on what you intend to use them for. Just astro or other uses as well. If just astro then are they to go along with a scope or do you want to use them for looking at DSOs? Do you want handheld or happy to use a bigger pair with a tripod or monopod?

If you really are looking for a "bino for life" then forgetting the brand, the specification and the price/performance, you should look first to see that the warranty is on any that you might shortlist. There's a legal requirement in the EU to provide a minimum 2 year warranty against manufacturing defects but anything beyond that is down to the individual supplier and in many cases you may not get much more!

HTH.

Cheers, Pete

For hand holding binos, I found my enjoyment of binocular astronomy improved immeasurably when I splurged on a pair with image stabilization. The high frequency shake in my holding gets turned into a slow 'waving' motion, making it much easier to observe detail.

Hi Earl

I can see by you signature that you like nice quality so let me take you in another direction ,have you ever though of Canon IS bins they have Image Stabilizers

and run off of 2xAA battries, I have had the 15x50 that I used on holiday and for night observation they are great bins ,when you look through them not switched on you can see ,let say 20 stars switch them on and you can see 30 stars or more , it is like having a 18x80 in your hands and Amazon has them at a good price at the moment

also Sky at Night magazine put them as Overall winner in there test but the price they have in the mag is R.R.P so look around you would be suprised ,well worth saving for

clear skies

• 4 weeks later...

If you are thinking of living a long time, then Leica? But boy, they are expensive. I did try a larger pair on the night sky once and they were truly exceptional. I just have l lttle pair of Ultravids for the birds. More seriously the Hawke's are getting big reviews.

Olly

Archived