Explorer or Skyliner??

I thought my mind was set... My money was being spent on the skywatcher 130 on motorised eq2 mount! Imaging is something that interests me, so i like the idea that i could automatically track objects across the sky:)

Now, having read all sorts of posts on here, I'm in agreement, bigger Is better!!

I've looked at the Skyliner 150dob, I know it's not that much bigger, but am i going to see a substantial amount more??

The dob is right at the top of my budget, but since i don't have a bottomless pit of $$ to throw at this hobby, i want something that is going to keep me happy for a long old while!!

From what i understand, the dob is simple to use, literally point and look. where as the eq mount does seem a bit more involved.

Is imaging from a dob possible as you have to move it manually?? I imagine that the tracking of an eq mount lends itself nicely to the long exposure shots that produce such great images!!

To summarise, Skywatcher 130m, or (slightly!) bigger with a 150dob???!

looking forward to reading the replys

Jon:iamwithstupid:

Hi Jon. Personally with your budget i would go with the 6" dob. Long exposure astro photography will require a much beefier mount to start with than the EQ2. Astro pics are possible with the dob using a webcam but will be limited to lunar and planetary images.

Hi

I used to own a 4.5" newt on an older version of the EQ2, and TBH this mount is nowhere near stable enough for deep sky AP. In fact it's only just passable for visual use.

IMO These small EQ mounts have questionable stability and vibration dampening.

Very little detracts from observing pleasure faster than a wobbly, vibrating mount.

An EQ2 mount will also require reasonably accurate levelling/aligning to even work half reasonably.

In contrast a Dob mount is extremely stable and dampens very fast indeed, require no aligning or levelling. Also because a Dob mount moves equally easily in any direction. You can push/pull it directly in the direction of choice. This makes finding targets a lot easier.

I would pick the Dob every time.

Regards Steve

As per 'Swampy' go for the dob...

you can always change the mount at a later date with the Dob when you have funds...& the 150 will be better than the 130... if you go with the 130... I feel you will be trying to update the 'scope & mount...more costly

The 15o Dob is the same OTA as the Explorer 150PL and I've been using one for just over a year and a half. I've also used the F5 Newtonian form-factor one and the 130PM. Must say, the 150PL slaps down the 130P drastically.

Go for the 150P dob, it's the difference between a Saturn shaped yellow thing and Saturn with detail.

Archived